VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

burghpitts

Question

If you were diagnosed with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine on active duty, when you get out does the VA make you take another sleep study test?

to make sure you still have sleep apnea?

thanks!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

If you were diagnosed with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine on active duty, when you get out does the VA make you take another sleep study test?

to make sure you still have sleep apnea?

It's very possible

Interesting....then it is possible that I might not get disability for it then if it comes back negative for it.

I was told a couple times once you get prescribed a CPAP machine its basically a guarenteed 50 %.

Sleep apnea is not a condition that will just go away. Even if you have a negative sleep study, you will still get a C & P exam and the doctor will have to give you a diagnosis. Try not to stress yourself about what VA will do or not do. If I remember correctly, you are still on active duty and already have a diagnosis, so it will be hard for VA to deny it. Yes, a rating for sleep apnea is 50% with the use of a CPAP machine.

For what ever reason VA wants every veteran to prove their conditions, you already proved that by having been diagnosed with sleep apnea while on active duty.

Edited by pacmanx1

I am Retired military. I had recently been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea requiring that I use the CPAP for the rest of my life. My first question for the doctor that diagnosed of having sleep apnea was how long has this been going on . The stated response was that I have had this chronic disorder for a long time. Although I do not have this in my military health records, I had snored alot while in the military which is attested by a statement from my former commander which wittness my snoring disorder. I have found a claim with VA for compensation of which in realtity I had this disorder while on active duty. Do I have a chance of winning this claim? During my sleep study it has been recorded that I quit breathing 33 times during the eight hour study. Sleep apnea does not occur overnight, it can be linked to PTSD also. I have a scheduled C&P scheduled appointment coming up to determine if I will be compensated for this disorder. Your comments are welcomed.