VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fictional Medical Documentation

Rate this question

ex-doc

Question

In brief, I'm one of those blessed few who have had a majority of good experiences with my VA providers.

But right now, I'm at war due to an incompetent MD in the V.A. emergency room, who could not only diagnose an obvious back problem (even though I was recently post-discectomy), who misdiagnosed me as having a blood clot with no signs or symptoms or relevant history, AND the final straw - refused to send me for an MRI even though I requested one and had many signs and symptoms indicating the need. I pursued outside help, got an MRI, got the emergency surgery I needed to prevent cord damage, and now I'm fighting for payment for the MRI (although it is possible I may end up fighting for the consult and surgery, because even though they were approved, I had the procedures before the valid dates, since this whole thing was an emergency, hence my going to the emergency room in the first place.)

Part of preparing for my fee basis battle and senatorial complaint, medical board complaint, JCAHO complaint was to obtain my ER records. I was enraged when I read them as they were crap. Fiction, ommissions, and lies. Likewise, a triage nursing note claims I asked her to "authorize local treatment", when the truth is that she told me to get to a local ER, and I educated her that I was 100% and couldn't do that. I didn't just start in this system, so I certainly know who to ask for fee basis authorization and who not to.

I was told I could dispute my medical record (by the clerk in fee basis, of all people), which I would like to do. But nobody seems to know how to do this, or so far, no one has been willing to tell me.

Part of why this hacks me off so much is that I had worked for years as a health care provider and I never falsified a record, or ommitted relevant information, and I spent my last year working (before my PTSD/Depression won that battle) at this VAMC. I had a very good opinion of it overall. That's changing rapidly.

Does anyone know if you can contest the content of your VA notes, and if so, how?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

bump

"But right now, I'm at war due to an incompetent MD in the V.A. emergency room, who could not only diagnose an obvious back problem (even though I was recently post-discectomy), who misdiagnosed me as having a blood clot with no signs or symptoms or relevant history, AND the final straw - refused to send me for an MRI even though I requested one and had many signs and symptoms indicating the need. I pursued outside help, got an MRI, got the emergency surgery I needed to prevent cord damage, and now I'm fighting for payment for the MRI (although it is possible I may end up fighting for the consult and surgery, because even though they were approved, I had the procedures before the valid dates, since this whole thing was an emergency, hence my going to the emergency room in the first place.)"

If the ER medical certificate reveals the improper blood clot diagnosis and the certificate reveals the need for an MRI,and the need for surgery was determnined very soon after this ER incident-

in my opinion you should consider filing either a Section 1151 claim or FTCA claim or both.

In our FTCA forum is everything you need to know as to these claims.

An ER certificate (which was very hard to read and contained abbreviations I didnt understand at all as well as one critical

medical term I finally was able to understand)

was my prime piece of evidence to succeed in a FTCA and 1151 claim with the VA.

That -along with my husband's autopsy-dated 6 years after the ER certificate-helped prove that

the VA caused his death.

I cannot determine here if they were negligent in your care but if you read the info in the FTCA forum, this could be one possible way to go and that might well help the fee basis problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

YUP! What Berta just said!

(she is, after all, our resident expert when it comes to FTCA, 1151's and mal-practice) and, I'm sure, that, in the process, things WILL get straightened out vis a vis your records (MOF, it would not surprise me, that when the 1151 hits the deck that your records will miraculously change, overnight).

Yeah Larry-THANK YOU - I forgot to tell this vet-make sure you get copies of ALL of your VA medical records before you file 1151 or FTCA or both.get Your C file copy too-

The MF might show up if you don't.

MF (Mysterious force ) who removed critical documents and info from my C file and then after I won my claims the MF put these significant documents back.

One of them (a 6 page VA Peer review that supported my malpractice charges ) disappeared for 8 years and VA told me it never existed.

When I re opened my claim and got copy of my C file it was right on the bottom of the stack. I just used it for my current AO

IHD claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say that if you are really sick no way in hell should you go to VA ER. They may kill you. If you have any other options use them rather than subject yourself to VA ER.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes there is a formal process that allows you to question bad info from a VA Doc but guess who decides if it gets changed.

Anyone besides the idiot who messed up is a bad guess.