VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unsure About Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

westcoastlv

Question

My husbad was in the Persian Gulf. His DD214 shows Combat Action Ribbon and Southwest Asia Service Medal w/bronze Star, Kuwait Liberation Medal Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. We have recently (July 2010) filed a claim for PTSD. We have received the VCAA notice, and a letter stating they are still working on the claim. We have a service rep at the VAC who told us that the next letter to expect is to schedule the C&P Exam.

About 5 years ago my husband was diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder by a private psychiatrist. He has been taking medicine for it ever since. Little did we know at the time that the symptoms for Bi Polar and PTSD are very similar, with the exception of the stressor. The private psych didn't ask about any stressors, and we didn't even think there was a connection to the Gulf War. After some research and long thought, we started to pinpoint when my husbands behavior actually began to change. This 'disorder' began during his shore duty, after his time on the ship. He has just started seeing at VA pysch, and we told her about the PTSD, but also had to mention the bipolar (which we said was a misdiagnosis) so that he could keep on his meds. We obtained a copy of his first and only visit with the VA pysch and she mentioned the PTSD and bipolar, had a GAF of 65, and stated that there were some other mental health issues. This has been requested and received by the VA Comp as well. It did not give a definitive diagnosis of PTSD. We have NOT sent any private pysch clinic notes. I spoke with my husbands previous private pysch, and he agrees that his issues are most likely PTSD, but has no notes to that effect because the stressors were never discussed, and he based his diagnosis on what we told him had been previously diagnosed. We have another VA appt tomorrow, and I am thinking that we should stress the PTSD (at least to get it in her notes).

The VAC service rep said that we would most likely get 70% for the PTSD because of the Combat Action Ribbon, but I am concerned that is may not be such a slam dunk. My husband is in desparate need of a rating because he is unable to work. He has an extremely hard time coping with life, even with the medications.

My questions are: should we request that the VA pysch give him a complete PTSD evaluation tomorrow? How does the civilian diagnosis of BiPolar affect the PTSD claim? Or, will this all be resolved in the C&P exam regardless of previous diagnosis? Should we also go to a private pysch and request the PTSD evaluation?

I have written a letter about how my husband's life has been affected by this, and also a letter from him. Who do I show these to?

We've requested other ratings as well: Tinnitus, Bilateral Hearing Loss, and Elbow.

Any advice or insight would be helpful.

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I might just add here that it does not matter, if he can get a doctor to say that it is "at least as likely as not" that his bi-polar originated as a result of his military service (or that his PTSD originated as a result of his service) for he will not receive but one percentage rating for psych disabilities, regardless of how MANY psych problems he actually has (I speak here from experienc e, okay?). So, say that the VA doc says he has PTSD and Bi-Polar and Major Depression Disorder..........he'll only receive the percentage disability rating of the worst of these three illnesses.

And, I would not waste my money on getting a private medical opinion on whether or not he has PTSD, for, since the latest change in the R&R's concerning PTSD, it must be diagnosed by a VA doctor, not a "civilian" doctor. He needs to approach this exam as he is at his WORST, he is going there for them to see how badly he is affected and he needs to keep that in mind before and during his exam (and, fer gosh sake, when the doc says "How you doing?" DON'T SAY "FINE"...........unless you are cured!). He needs to really "open up" and let it "all hang out". And, ask for help.

Edited by LarryJ

Thanks everyone. I am very clear that the doctor needs to see him at his worse. We also have researched all of the symptoms, and he honestly does have them (almost all). And he is either currently on, or has been on in the past, the same meds diagnosed for PTSD. Our appointment tomorrow is a routine mental health exam, but i know that all records will be sent to VA comp, so we need to make the best of the visits. His psych doc hasn't really helped in her previous notes, but really hasn't hurt either. We are anxiously awaiting the C&P exam, however, I know my husband will not be able to do this exam by himself. I go to every appointment with him, and if he is forced to go alone to the C&P, I am afraid of what will happen. He is uncomfortable talking to strangers and his aggitation is very evident, even to the point of anger. It is virtually impossible for him to express himself to strangers. And that's on the meds.

I do have another question: throughout this process, no offcial questionaire has asked about his dependents or family situation. For the comp value, it makes a difference in single vet, or with dependents. When does that get noted? Is this something we have to apply for after he is rated? Will the retro pay include dependents? And, can we request UI now, or wait until the rating?

The official application date is July 16th (right after the new ruling). So its been approx 2 months.

Maybe it is just me or should I say what I have gone through that makes me feel these new PTSD guidelines actually do not help the vets at all.

In my case I was going through rehab at the VA and had a counselor who just kept saying well I don't see how we can help and kept asking me just how do you think we can help?? Well I lost it and was asked to leave and then about a month later I was called in for a mental visit with a shrink. We just sat there and I went over my life and Nam and my stressors to a point and then he looked at me and said "you have PTSD" well that gave me the label and I have done a lot of soul searching since.

I filed about 6 months later had a C&P and just told the guy how I felt and left the meeting kind of drained but still really thought I would get 10-30% when it came back 50% I really had to do some reflection and talk to the wife. I did not think I was that bad but I guess we are the last to know.

My point is getting the DX and rating for PTSD is not a cure and make you feel OK now I have an excuse for what I do. I try everyday some good days and some bad days but I feel I am doing better.

Go to your C&P and be honest and get treated to help you handle this beast!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks everyone. I am very clear that the doctor needs to see him at his worse. We also have researched all of the symptoms, and he honestly does have them (almost all). And he is either currently on, or has been on in the past, the same meds diagnosed for PTSD. Our appointment tomorrow is a routine mental health exam, but i know that all records will be sent to VA comp, so we need to make the best of the visits. His psych doc hasn't really helped in her previous notes, but really hasn't hurt either. We are anxiously awaiting the C&P exam, however, I know my husband will not be able to do this exam by himself. I go to every appointment with him, and if he is forced to go alone to the C&P, I am afraid of what will happen. He is uncomfortable talking to strangers and his aggitation is very evident, even to the point of anger. It is virtually impossible for him to express himself to strangers. And that's on the meds.

I do have another question: throughout this process, no offcial questionaire has asked about his dependents or family situation. For the comp value, it makes a difference in single vet, or with dependents. When does that get noted? Is this something we have to apply for after he is rated? Will the retro pay include dependents? And, can we request UI now, or wait until the rating?

The official application date is July 16th (right after the new ruling). So its been approx 2 months.

If he filled out a VA Form 21-526 "Application for Compensation or Pension" (THE VA original claim form) then he filled out the "dependents" section already, and they have his dependents information.

AND, definitely FILE a VA Form 21-8940 "Application For Increase in Disability" (THE VA "Total Disability Due To Individual Unemployability" (TDIU) claim form). YOU MUST FILL THIS FORM OUT if you are seeking 100% TDIU............do not fail to do this as soon as possible, to acheive the earliest effective date possible (the longer you wait, the more money you cost yourself).

westcoatlv,

First welcome to the board , secondly please listen to the advice given here. We are here to help guide you . You say your husband has a hard time opening up , nows not the time to be a tough guy . As people have stated let it all hang out at the Dr 's office . He's got to open up and let them know how bad it is. His rating depends on telling it like it is . Do not lie, tell the truth if he's jacked up

tell them about his absolute worst time . Any physical altercations , arrest . He's got to tell them . There not mind readers , hell they (VA ) can't read sometimes period. From experience a combat action ribbon or cab will not get you an automatic 70 % . Also his GAF of 65 is not that high . Although it is only part of the decision (GAF) . He must see his DR'S regularly and start getting everything noted in progress reports. Usually when the claim is filed , you give copies of Marriage cert and birth certs for the dependant part. That will all get sorted out, you need to get SC first .

Good luck to you !

Also check out the C&P exam worksheet for PTSD that is on this site . Then you can go in prepared.