VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Imo

Rate this question

tommyj

Question

My question is this.. I have been out of the MIlitary for 55 years. I have seen many many doctors for Asthma that I qwas Hospitalized while in the Far East.

VA says that I had asthma as a child and that it was not aggravated during my stay. Don't have many records baecause thay alll have been destroyed and also don't have any money for a praivate IMO.

Any Ideas

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is the VA using to say that you had asthma as a child?

Did it require treatment before you went into the military?

Did the treatment increase in frequency or methodology while you were in the military?

Did your service entry medical show that you had asthma?

Were you exposed at any time to some substance or environmental condition that may have caused or contributed to your problem?

What basis did the VA use to say that military service did not cause your asthma or make it worse?

Have you tried to obtain a copy of your service records?

These are the things that you should ask yourself first, and depending upon the answers, decide if any might be used to challenge the VA decision.

Then, file a notice of disagreement as soon as possible.

The VA often uses the absence of records against you, even when there is evidence in incomplete records that is in your favor.

The VA often fails to give "benefit of doubt" even though it is required by law.

My question is this.. I have been out of the MIlitary for 55 years. I have seen many many doctors for Asthma that I qwas Hospitalized while in the Far East.

VA says that I had asthma as a child and that it was not aggravated during my stay. Don't have many records baecause thay alll have been destroyed and also don't have any money for a praivate IMO.

Any Ideas

Edited by Chuck75

Any Ideas

mY father was in the navy in the early 1950's He had asthma and smoked 2 packs a day.. he never ever went to a doctor, but was always gagging and coughing, and had problems with food,, after 30 years went by he went to the VA and they gave him 100% after one c&p exam..

I have been sick and in and out of hospitals and the VA only gives me the runaround..... not sure what the hell the VA is doing.. it's al upside and crazy..

Chuck that was an excellent post you made and should be a template for any vet who the VA says had a pre- existing condition.

"Don't have many records baecause thay alll have been destroyed"

Tommy-did the VA say that in the decision ?

If so- I would go to the NARA web site-if I were you- and follow the instructions as to filling out a SF 180 and ask them for your complete medical and military personnel file.

I have SMRs here from vets (they left them here so they always know where they are)who were told by VA that these SMRS were destroyed in the ST Louis Fire.

yeah right= perhaps it is true but it pays to double check if the VA told you this.

"for Asthma that I qwas Hospitalized while in the Far East." Was this during your service period?