VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/mdd Due To Mst, I'm Afraid Of C&p.

Rate this question

random4444

Question

Diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder) and told I probably have PTSD (which can apparently only be diagnosed at C&P). These are due to a MST which occured in service.

How much detail do I need to go into? Can I just write down what happened before I go in there, hand it to them and let them deal with it as I do not want the embarassment nor do I

want to feel how that conversation would make me. I have a GAF 30-40 every time I talk to any of those VA ____. Also diagnosed with pyschosis and alcohol addiction (catagorized

as in remission).

I've heard from other vets that PTSD C&P is basically them making you relive every moment, watching you cry and lose it, doing this multiple times, and then months later they often

were denied anyways when it was apparent they had it.

Moreover I'm terrified that if they rate me high enough that they will make me come back in every 6 months and relive things which have ________ every aspect of my life. Is this how it

works, or please give me a little bit of hope and tell me that once I do my C&P that a re-eval would be just confirming I'm still _____ rather than just doing the C&P over again.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It is hard to do this but not impossible. Look at it this way you will have to do it to get your earned benefits but no matter what happened to you they have seen lots of others with the same symptoms.

Good Luck

Carlie,

I have not. If you have knowledge of anything I mentioned in my posting please respond to that as that stuff is what I'm most concerned about.

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not looking for someone to tell me what forms to fill out until I know the above, which is what I'm terrified about, ergo, knowing which form to use doesn't help me at this stage.

Thank you,

Random person

Diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder) and told I probably have PTSD (which can apparently only be diagnosed at C&P). These are due to a MST which occured in service.

Any mental health care professional can provide a diagnosis for PTSD, so can a LCSW apparently.

This is not limited to a C&P examiner BUT if a C&P examiner states you do not have PTSD

then the fight is on.

You will have to find a way to prove MST on active duty, if no report was made it can be difficult.

How much detail do I need to go into? Can I just write down what happened before I go in there, hand it to them and let them deal with it as I do not want the embarassment nor do Iwant to feel how that conversation would make me. I have a GAF 30-40 every time I talk to any of those VA ____. Also diagnosed with pyschosis and alcohol addiction (catagorized

as in remission).

If you're having a c&P you'd better talk about exactly what happened on active duty and how you feel it effects you now.

If you don't discuss it with the C&P examiner - you might get denied quick.

In most cases NO ONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT IT.

If you are self medicating by drinking the examiner may want to know.

I've heard from other vets that PTSD C&P is basically them making you relive every moment, watching you cry and lose it, doing this multiple times, and then months later they often

were denied anyways when it was apparent they had it.

Go in and present the you that you usually are on your worst days.

Moreover I'm terrified that if they rate me high enough that they will make me come back in every 6 months and relive things which have ________ every aspect of my life. Is this how it

works, or please give me a little bit of hope and tell me that once I do my C&P that a re-eval would be just confirming I'm still _____ rather than just doing the C&P over again.

Your percentage doesn't have anything to do with,

" if they rate me high enough that they will make me come back in every 6 months and relive things which have ________ every aspect of my life."

Getting treatment show continuity of care and is designed to help you with daily life.

Carlie,

I have not. If you have knowledge of anything I mentioned in my posting please respond to that as that stuff is what I'm most concerned about.

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not looking for someone to tell me what forms to fill out until I know the above, which is what I'm terrified about, ergo, knowing which form to use doesn't help me at this stage.

Thank you,

Random person

random444,

No offense taken.

Not filling out, signing and submitting that form can cost you a grant of this claim issue.

Not filling out, signing and submitting that form may result in a denial or result in the decision maker having to do additional development

of this claim issue, thus adding 6 or more months onto your wait for a decision.

• HadIt.com Elder

Random

There have been a number of vets here that have been denied on MST/PTSD claims because they did not want to talk about their symptoms or the events that led to their PTSD. Going to a C&P and thinking you can get away with "Yes" or "No" answers without details just won't work. The shrink is probably going to ask you "What happened" and then look at you waiting for response. I have been to many exams for emotional disorders. I don't like it. If you don't go and discuss your symptoms and events you lose. The rating officer may decide your condition is permanent and total and you will never have to go to another C&P exam. Take someone with you to the exam. They can't go in there with you but they can drive you home afterwards. The VA just does not give away money without evidence. They use the C&P exam to get evidence. Perhaps you could do some kind or role playing with a private counselor to help you cope. I can tell you that if and when you break down the shrink will probably back off and end the interview. If you have the evidence of the attack the examiner will see by your reaction how bad off you are. They are not sadist but are hard boiled because they hear a lot of stuff that is pretty awful.