VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Should I Set Up For My Spouse

red

Question

Hello to everyone,

I have not posted lately but something has been on my mine that I need to take care of. Many of you know that my wife had a terrible stroke 5 years a go. I applied and was awarded a&a for her. I worry what would happy if I passed away. I have a folder with insurance papers, deeds, a will which needs to be updated, etc. What do I need to place in there with instructions on DIC. I am 100% t&p and have been over 10 years, (2 years of this was

tdiu.

Also, in my will I am leaving everything to her. It all is payable on death. Should I do anything different with regards to the will? My daughter is going to keep her if something happens to me but I also have a son. Should I specify in the will that my ss and dic check should go to my daughter. I also own a home. I want to make certain their is no fighting between the kids. I am pretty sure I need to go to a lawyer and have them advise me on this. I need to let the kids know in my folder what steps to take to get the dic moving. They do not understand the va system or what dic even is. Thanks for any help. She is not capable of taking care of this due to her stroke so I need to be prepared. Thanks for any help.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You do need a lawyer. You should also have a health care power of attorney, living will and durable POA for your wife. I would contact an Elder Care lawyer and let them advise you. If your wife has to go to a nursing home there are things you need to know. Everyone says they will never end up in a nursing home, but in the end they do unless they just drop dead. Money you spend now will save your estate big time. If you are not there and your kids work how can they continue to care for your wife? The answer is they can't. Getting a nurse round the clock is too expensive. What happens eventually is assets are used up and then medicade takes over to pay nursing home. I have been through this with three relatives. You want the lawyer to spell everything out in detail about your wishes and your wife's wishes. If you die first you need to spell out who will make all decisions for your wife in advance. You need to get your kids involved so they know who is going to do what. Anything you do now in advance will save pain later.

• HadIt.com Elder

Red it is tough. One thing to consider is your wife can keep your property tax exemption if you have one.

Talk to your kids their input may surprise you.

"Should I specify in the will that my ss and dic check should go to my daughter."

Your wife could be eligible at your death for a SSA benefit that is higher then what I assume she gets now-it is hard to know- however-

and any DIC payment is hers alone an cannot be sent by VA to adult children.

Perhaps it could be put into a trust account for her ifshe is unable to handle her finances.

As John said -these are questions for lawyers.

I have been dealing with some of this, this past week.My beneficiary is home on leave and we went over the "Death file" I have.

There is info here at hadit on things we should all take care of now when we are able to-wills, health care proxy etc and there have been 2-3 shows available here through the SVR archives on preparing for our deaths.

It is the time to let your family know of your wishes as far as burial goes and if you wish to donate any of your organs.

Let them know how you feel about an autopsy.

In many cases regarding DIC that is not an obvious award due to 10 years of 100% SC P & T-only an autopsy might reveal a service connected death potential for DIC-whereas a death certificate might not contain enough detailed information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Red - Yes, you need to see an attorney. I recommend a revokable trust. You can get the pkg at suzeorman.com for free but I still recommend seeing an attorney. I have a trust and it cost me about $1800 for everything, including my will & living will. I feel a trust is better as it allows access immediately upon death and there's no probate. jmo

pr