VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Rate Increase

Rate this question

SaintX

Question

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have land to sell - high and dry - in the Everglades - soon I will start taking bids,

first come - first served ..... who wants to start the bidding ? ? ?

Now to answer the last question.

6. Senate Approves COLA Increase For Disabled Vets. CQ (9/23, Lesniewski) reports, “By voice vote, the Senate on Wednesday cleared a bill that would provide” a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for disabled veterans. After noting that the bill “would increase the amounts paid to veterans for disability compensation and to their survivors for dependency and indemnity compensation,” CQ adds, “The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that it will provide disability compensation to just over 3 million veterans with service-connected disabilities in the current fiscal year.”<br style=min-width: 0px; "><br style="min-width: 0px; ">http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/09/23/top-10-veterans-stories-in-today%e2%80%99s-news-63/

If we were to receive like 2% we would be glad as they have left us out a few yrs now...but come on these amts posted are an april fools joke in sept. It has been stated on many news channels and in print no cola raises projected this yr again for SS and VA. Wishful thinking by someone I guess.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that we are going into a period of deflation. In Dallas I can buy milk for 99 cents a gallon at almost every store, eggs are 73 cents and coffee is 5.99 and sometimes 4.99 for almost 3 lbs. Gas is still high at 2.47 a gallon but all much lower than a year ago. I pay less for TV and Internet and cell phone and as I go through store many bargains if you are a careful shopper. Stores are offering great deals to lure customers in to buy.

If I buy 100 bucks worth of groceries at Krogers they take a dime off at pump at shell and in Dallas Shell sells at the lowest end.

I have started trying to cook at least 2 meals a day and have sandwiches for third.

Sunday we had entire family over 12 guests plus me and Mrs Peteand I provided choice rump roast at 2.99 lb, rice and gravy, salad with tomatoes and avocados and a chocolate cake and the whole deal cost 15 bucks Or about a buck and 8 cents. I still have roast left for sandwiched.

I guess my point is that all of us now are more or less on fixed incomes and if we develop a strategy we will all come through in good shape.

Not getting a COLA is not as bad as many think; the problem is the kind of inflation we had after Viet Nam that ran at over 20% at one point will come eventually.

My joke about this is a father has the wife and three kids at the table and announces that they have enough money to get by. The problem is he says I have to let one of you go.

I think that most Americans have not a clue how bad the depression or recession is and how many are out of work and probably will never have a job as good as they had a few years ago.

Right now I am grateful for what our government has provided me and if they decide to bump it down the road I will be grateful but I am not counting on it.

I received that e-mail at work today with the PDF and did some quick math. 3 Million Veterans X ~$1,000 per month increase X 12 months is 36 TRILLION dollars they would have to raise the DVA budget by. Don't think this is going to happen. As many other posters have said I think this was just congresses way of tying the COLA for the VA to the COLA of SSA so they do not have to do a new bill each year unless they want to make a bigger change than the SSA increase.

D/

This is usually done on a yearly basis.

All it basically is saying is THAT

If the CPI increases

The goobermint will figure by a specific formula,

if a COLA is applicable for SSA and VA recipients

If it applicable, then the goobermint will figure by a specific formula

what percentage the COLA is to go into effect.

The VA would be in agreement with this if all of the steps above were successful.

That is very basically, in laypeople talk - what the same bill,HR XXX - that comes up almost

every year - is saying.

There has been scuttlebutt talk within the goobermint for several years

that Disabled Veterans compensation should be increased across the board

by 25 percent.

This remains a pipe-dream.

This of course, is only my opinion from my understanding of these issues.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes the VDBC recommendations were quickly shelved when they were presented to President Bush Congress would not touch that blue ribbon panels recommendations that is why I am not worried about the current "cat food commission" that has been getting a lot of bad publicity due to some poor statements from Senator Simpson about 310 million teats

committees get people all worked up but the last commission that actually did anything was the BRAC commissions I think 1 and 2 were an all or nothing basis and they both passed and the military was slashed across the nation they called it savings from the winning of the Cold War lol defense spending is higher now than it has ever been so much for saving

think how we could increase consumer spending though if they did give us those huge increases they were mentioned in that fantasy pay chart I would have that used Cadillac CTS the day after I got the pay hike in the bank

the last time I was at the VA you can tell the 100% vets by all the Humvees, Lincoln Navigators, BMWs and other expensive cars myself I bought a used Chrysler Sebring for 14,000 and we love it gets great mileage and is a hybrid so I can buy that E85 if gas goes sky high again

I have a great life between SSD and SMC S with or without COLAs or a huge pay raise I am like Pete when coffee is on sale for 4.99 a can we buy 8 of them when be find paper towels on sale for 3.99 we buy about 4-6 packages of it toilet paper the same way it's not like we are ever going to quit using it I buy ribeye when they have them on sale for 3.99 yes you have to buy a chunk of meat between 8-14 pounds but the freezer holds it and we have great steaks for 2-4 months depending on how fast we cook them I have them sliced 3/4 of an inch thick and we cook one steak and cut it in half that is plenty for my wife and I a salad and a baked potato I don't think there is a better meal and at this point in our life eating is our entertainment

I use the sidewalk sales at the commissary to especially when they had canned drinks for a dollar a 12 pack who cares what flavor they are they have all sorts of neat things at the sidewalk sales once I got the large candy bars 6 to a pack for 40 cents a pack a case of ramen for a dollar there are ways to make your own COLA adjustments I quit the daily paper I read it online the only thing the paper issue was for was the crossword puzzle for Dori and to start BBQ's yes I used to make a lot more working especially with all the OT as a T6 carrier I think the last year I worked I made 70,000 in 1999 I worked a lot of OT including Xmas day. But now I am not eating lunch out every day, I don't pay taxes for anything but sales tax I don't have to buy as much gas since I don't have to drive to work and home daily etc yes I wished I had my health back but I don't and it ain't going to get better so now my goal is to live as long as I can I am 55 if I make it to 65 I will be happy if I make it to 70 or longer I will be estatic

being 100% plus SSD isn't really all that bad financially especially when it is tax free