VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap Compliance Checks

Rate this question

Gena

Question

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and provided a CPAP while on active duty in 2007. I retired later that year and VA granted the 50%. I'm still using the CPAP I was given over three years ago on AD. VA has never asked anything about my CPAP equipment or checked for usage compliance. I would like to say that I have a love-hate relationship with my CPAP, but its mostly hate. I start the night with it on most nights and usually tear it off at some point in the night. I've read that non-compliance with CPAP use is somewhere between 29 and 83% and that a large percentage of the machines end up sitting in a closet collecting dust. I use mine, but there is no way I can tolerate it for 6-8 hours per night. Mine rarely stays on more than 3-4 hours. Now, I have a pulminary C&P exam coming up and they've asked that I bring my CPAP machine. I assume that they will check the usage rates and mine are well below the 6-8 hours that I think they like to see. I don't know what to expect from this: slap on the hands, rate reduction or if they really don't care. Has anybody had their CPAP usage checked by VA? What's VA's stance on "non-compliance" with CPAP, can they reduce your rating of your not logging 6-8 hours per night with it?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Here is what CFR 38 Part 4 says:

6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):

Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy 100

Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine 50

Persistent day-time hypersomnolence 30

Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing 0

It does not give any set amount of hours, I know this still does not answer your question but that is what VA goes by.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and provided a CPAP while on active duty in 2007. I retired later that year and VA granted the 50%. I'm still using the CPAP I was given over three years ago on AD. VA has never asked anything about my CPAP equipment or checked for usage compliance. I would like to say that I have a love-hate relationship with my CPAP, but its mostly hate. I start the night with it on most nights and usually tear it off at some point in the night. I've read that non-compliance with CPAP use is somewhere between 29 and 83% and that a large percentage of the machines end up sitting in a closet collecting dust. I use mine, but there is no way I can tolerate it for 6-8 hours per night. Mine rarely stays on more than 3-4 hours. Now, I have a pulminary C&P exam coming up and they've asked that I bring my CPAP machine. I assume that they will check the usage rates and mine are well below the 6-8 hours that I think they like to see. I don't know what to expect from this: slap on the hands, rate reduction or if they really don't care. Has anybody had their CPAP usage checked by VA? What's VA's stance on "non-compliance" with CPAP, can they reduce your rating of your not logging 6-8 hours per night with it?

I have always been wondering about the compliance hours. My machine shows usage hrs and compliance hrs. I am still active duty, and will retire next year. The VA did a pre check and wanted proof of my getting a machine. I think they want TRICARE paperwork, as it is in my medical record and I was approved and have been using one for 2 years now.

I know this is an older thread, but it does bring up the question, if the VA checks usage. Its hard to use it for many hours, and being on Staff in the Navy, I travel and ride boats allot. Hard to get real hours and quality sleep with it.

Vette,

You can cite your situational difficulties if there's any issues about CPAP compliance. I did that when I was living in my car.

When you bring your CPAP in for those checks, ask for a printout of the results so you know where you stand and tell them to document your reasons for less CPAP time.

I'd consider asking superiors for accommodation to use CPAP since it's a safety issue in staying awake and alert.

The main point with any issue is getting it documented in your medical records.

Maybe you could try a different mask than the one you are using now. I have nasal pillows. They are not that comfortable and it took me several months to get used to it. But now I am sleeping 8 to 9 hours every night with the machine and mask on. I think it would be worth your time and effort to try and find a mask that works for you.