VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New C&p Results

Rate this question

RH6

Question

I often view these pages but this is my first time posting. I'd like to see what you think the outcome of my case might be and the reason why you think that. I'd like to know so when I get my decision I can have a baseline to temper my response. It feels like I'm walking in the dark on this sometimes. Just want an azimuth check. Thanks in advance.

Current:

10% tinnitus

0% Foot abnormality (soft pea sized growth near my bunion)

0% adjustment disorder

0% eczema

Denied:

Shoulder injury

PTSD

I have submitted my NOD and taken two new C&P exams

New information.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

7806 Dermatitis or eczema.

At least 5 percent, but less than 20 percent, of the entire body, or at

least 5 percent, but less than 20 percent, of exposed areas affected,

or; intermittent systemic therapy such as corticosteroids or other

immunosuppressive drugs required for a total duration of less than

six weeks during the past 12-month period............................................................. 10

I was prescribed a corticosteroid for treatment recently. Which the size of the rash on my chest didn't change prior to the new treatment, it DID change once it was prescribed. The treatment is helping. My take, just from the new prescription I can expect this to be bumped from 0%- to 10%. I submitted the medical report to be included in my DRO report.

R Shoulder (dominant)

This one is confusing.

I have submitted buddy statements as to the time and place of my injury (Iraq 2004, during combatives training) and the ongoing loss of use while in service. I did not have a preexisting condition.

results

abduction 0-90 with complaint of pain at end of motion

forward flexion 0-80 with complaint of pain at end of motion

external rotation 0-65 with complaint of pain at end of motion

internal rotation 0-70 with complaint of pain at end of motion AND snapping sensation during the maneuver of shoulder with pain. Apprehension test is positive and sulcus sign is positive.

Diagnosis: Mild subluxation of the right shoulder with chronic tendonitis

Is this rated under 5200 or 5201. And if so, where do I stand? Does the pain and tendonitis matter?

PTSD

AXIS I PTSD

Axis II deferred

Axis III See medical record

Axis IV Problems with primary support group, occupational problems, problems relating to social environment

Axis V 55

I am employed.

There are 18 total pages of the assessment for the PTSD exam. It took over 2 hours. I thought she was very thorough. I also submitted a statement from my wife detailing the last six years worth of problems and I also wrote a statement detailing why I felt I did in fact have PTSD and not adjustment disorder.

It also said that I did meet the criteria for B, C, D without getting into all the detail.

Degree of severity: Moderate

Chronic

Bottom line, I think I have met the level for PTSD recognition. Now for the levels.

Under 9440 I’m somewhere in-between because I don’t have continuous panic attacks. But I do “weekly or less often” I feel like I fit the 30% level almost to a “T”. I don’t have impaired judgment but do have difficulty in “establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships”. My panic attacks aren’t as often as outlined in the 50% level.

Social impairment in judgment thinking, family relations, work, mood: YES (with examples)

Judgment :NO

Stressors are outlined in the report.

It was noted in my files I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2007 but that was either overlooked or disregarded in my initial claim. Who knows.

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and

productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,

circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once

a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment

of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned

material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired

abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in

establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships ............... 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work

efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational

tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine

behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms

as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or

less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as

forgetting names, directions, recent events) ...................................................... 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms

which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational

tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled

by continuous medication .................................................................................. 10

What are your thoughts? Thank you.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

07 you were diagnosed with ptsd by whom? No follow up since that diagnoses. What era are you from? Combat? I think if you give a little more history we might be able to offer some insight or thoughts of what could be suggested for follow up. Glad you have decided to join hadit too.

07 you were diagnosed with ptsd by whom? No follow up since that diagnoses. What era are you from? Combat? I think if you give a little more history we might be able to offer some insight or thoughts of what could be suggested for follow up. Glad you have decided to join hadit too.

I was diagnosed in 2007 by a Doc at an Air Force base. But it looks like they originally did a poor job on the diagnosis but did list all my symptomology.

Denied:

Shoulder injury

PTSD

I have submitted my NOD and taken two new C&P exams

PTSD

AXIS I PTSD

Axis II deferred

Axis III See medical record

Axis IV Problems with primary support group, occupational problems, problems relating to social environment

Axis V 55

I am employed.

There are 18 total pages of the assessment for the PTSD exam. It took over 2 hours. I thought she was very thorough. I also submitted a statement from my wife detailing the last six years worth of problems and I also wrote a statement detailing why I felt I did in fact have PTSD and not adjustment disorder.

It also said that I did meet the criteria for B, C, D without getting into all the detail.

Degree of severity: Moderate

Chronic

Bottom line, I think I have met the level for PTSD recognition. Now for the levels.

Under 9440 I'm somewhere in-between because I don't have continuous panic attacks. But I do "weekly or less often" I feel like I fit the 30% level almost to a "T". I don't have impaired judgment but do have difficulty in "establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships". My panic attacks aren't as often as outlined in the 50% level.

Social impairment in judgment thinking, family relations, work, mood: YES (with examples)

Judgment :NO

Stressors are outlined in the report.

What are your thoughts? Thank you.

First, welcome to Hadit!

I won't pretend to know anything about your shoulder condition, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

And....I'm no expert on PTSD, but from what you have outlined, it appears to me that (if the rater accepts your stressor and the diagnosis outlined here!) you stand a good chance of being rated at 30% or more. In my experience, the VA is inclined to lowball ratings initially, and you may have to ask for a re-evaluation before your rating gets to where it needs to be.

Good luck on all your claims.