VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Sucess

Rate this question

jerlor

Question

After my rating was increased to 70% due to appeal, the TDIU went rather quickly,I am 30% for Larynx cancer and 40% for major depression. I had 3 C&P exams, one for blood work, one with a ear nose and throat doctor and one with a shrink. All were very nice and listened to what my wife had to say. My VASO was also very helpful. I am thankful for all who post here. I read almost all post and got a lot of good advise. My experience with the VA has been a positive one. I am attending PTSD classes and trying to cope with the loss of vocal cords, my job etc. The TDIU sure is a big help. Good luck to all getting what is well deserved. My advise would be to be nice to the examiner, I think it is important for him to like you. It also helps to have all your ducks in order.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

jerlor

I think you are absolutely right!! All paper work organized, short, quick sentences, all documentation highlighted with regards to most important information. Yes, yes, yes, be nice to the examiner 'cause you can always get more with Honey than Vinegar!!!! You are a brave man and you know, it's nice to hear that you got something out of your trials. If you're the one typing, I'm sure you' re glad you can do that, if not kiss the wife! Blessings to you and yours. We., like you have really had positive things from the VA.(mostly)

Friends from Hadit

e4766 and Carolyn

You did very well- Congrats - you deserve this benefit and certainly must have presented the TDIU claim in a concise way.

A question for you----

do you have complete loss of your voice?

The VA will pay SMC "K" award for complete aphonia ( loss of voice ,or disability of any speech organ which precludes communication)

This might be part of their 30% rating for this and they found you were not in this SMC K criteria but still I wonder about the K award.

Did the decision consider you for any SMC at all?

The new VBM makes this point-

Complete aphonia (and hopefully you do not have complete loss of speech)

is rated as total schedular under DCS 6518,6519,6520,7202 and "prosthetic devices to provide voice sounds will not preclude entitlement."

VBM 2010 edition Page 346.

I was talking to a vet years ago at the local VA who was using a voice device on his neck where his vocal cords were damaged and he asked me how VA would rate him and I didnt have a clue.He did have a claim in progress.I didnt know if they would consider the voice devise as some sort of cure-like telling a vet with hearing aides that they don't have a HL because of the hearing aides.

I since have learned of the Aphonia regulations but wonder-

comments anyone?

If a vet is rated for complete SC loss of voice as 100% schedular than wouldnt they be able to receive the SMC K award for aphonia too?

Or say the rates a vet at TDIU for PTSD but the vet has SC aphonia- would that- if complete aphonia-warrant the "S" award as this is a higher rate then a K award?

I love to see awards here but sometimes I sure wonder if the VA is awarding enough money.

I saw my rep the same day I talked to the above aphonia vet and my rep had never heard of aphonia! GEEEEEEZ

After my rating was increased to 70% due to appeal, the TDIU went rather quickly,I am 30% for Larynx cancer and 40% for major depression. I had 3 C&P exams, one for blood work, one with a ear nose and throat doctor and one with a shrink. All were very nice and listened to what my wife had to say. My VASO was also very helpful. I am thankful for all who post here. I read almost all post and got a lot of good advise. My experience with the VA has been a positive one. I am attending PTSD classes and trying to cope with the loss of vocal cords, my job etc. The TDIU sure is a big help. Good luck to all getting what is well deserved. My advise would be to be nice to the examiner, I think it is important for him to like you. It also helps to have all your ducks in order.

Congrats! That was fast for getting awarded TDIU! I thought the 7 months for myself was quick but 5 is insane! Great job! IMHO, if you are well-documented in your medical evidence then how could VA deny you! But we all know the pit-falls of the VA and luck of the draw when it comes to the rater you are given to review your claim.........I'm a firm believer that getting the right rater to review your claim is key.......I've been lucky thus far!

Good Luck to those still fighting with the VA........keep up the good fight.......don't settle for NO! You deserve the benefits, fight the VA to the end!

B6