VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do You Get Va To Apply Bilateral Rule

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday I got denial notice and once again the VA ignores the fact I have 2 flat feet (bilateral) not one. They also denied chronic treatment of pain medications as treating secondary symptoms of bad back, They consider that because I do not see a VA Podiatrist as meaning I don't get treatment when the dirty bastards will not see me when I ask for treatment.

Since in my denial it says I can ask a question I plan to send in a request for explanation on why bilateral was not applied and send in single questions about treatment medication. I plan to ask my PCP why she prescribes hydrocodone for me.

I think I will also ask for a DRO Hearing.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Yesterday I got denial notice and once again the VA ignores the fact I have 2 flat feet (bilateral) not one. They also denied chronic treatment of pain medications as treating secondary symptoms of bad back, They consider that because I do not see a VA Podiatrist as meaning I don't get treatment when the dirty bastards will not see me when I ask for treatment.

Since in my denial it says I can ask a question I plan to send in a request for explanation on why bilateral was not applied and send in single questions about treatment medication. I plan to ask my PCP why she prescribes hydrocodone for me.

I think I will also ask for a DRO Hearing.

Pete,

I'm not sure if any of this info will be helpful to you. Apparently the 'bilateral factor' we normally see isn't used with flat feet.

If the VA is rating your condition as bilateral you should be able to figure it out. According to the 38 CFR Book C there are specific ratings for bilateral vs. unilateral, which are figured according to the severity of the condition. Here's the info:

5276 Flatfoot, acquired:

Pronounced; marked pronation, extreme tenderness of plantar surfaces of the feet, marked inward displacement and severe spasm of the tendo achillis on manipulation, not improved by orthopedic shoes or appliances:

Bilateral - 50

Unilateral - 30

Severe; objective evidence of marked deformity (pronation, abduction, etc.), pain on manipulation and use accentuated, indication of swelling on use, characteristic callosities:

Bilateral - 30

Unilateral - 20

Moderate; weight-bearing line over or medial to great toe, inward bowing of the tendo achillis, pain on manipulation and use of the feet:

Bilateral or Unilateral - 10

Mild; symptoms relieved by built-up shoe or arch support: 0

• HadIt.com Elder

Time to get a doctor who will say back pain is secondary to flat feet. This is not rare, but the VA won't say it. People with severe flat feet often have back pain and knee pain and even hip problems. Hire Dr. Bash and get all these things connected along with chronic pain disorder. This way if Pete does need a scooter or more help at home with higher A&A he can get it.