VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Time Visitor, Going To C&p On Monday

Rate this question

H4nds0l0

Question

I was discharged from the Air Force back in May 2009. General under Honorable Conditions for Minor Discplinary Infractions, but the first statement in my discharge paperwork was about my Adjustment Disorder as well as Axis 2 Personality traits. This past year I've been battling through some really dark times in my head, and I finally got the courage to go to the VA at the beginning of the month. All I wanted was information on my benefits, and who I could talk to try and appeal my discharge, but the guy put me in for a disability claim. I don't even know what's going on anymore, things are moving so fast. I have to be at this doctors appointment on Monday for whatever the case. I've tried googling information about all of this but I have no idea what to expect.

In my last couple of months in the service I started having sleep problems after I came back from Iraq. Came to work late a couple times. Cried a lot. Had suicidal thoughts. Went to life skills, was prescribed Celexa and Ambien and Paxil, but it just kept getting worse. Kept making mistakes on the job, screwing up paperwork, getting 'abrasive' with the NCOs in my unit. I didn't mean to. I was just in such a dark place, you know? It's funny, you can go from super troop at one end of the year, coming out of basic with honor graduate and loads upon loads of letters of appreciation for volunteer activites I kept up on, to going to Iraq, and coming back and just falling off the world.

Anyway, enough with my rant. What should I expect on monday? I really have no idea.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Tell the C&P Examiner you were ordered to the examination, and you are reporting as ordered.

Let him lead the questioning, and answer all the questions to the best of your ability.

Tell him you have been having the same problems (and getting worse) that you had while you were still in military uniform.

Tell him with all the gory details details, exactly what your current medical and mental health problems are --and how these problems are related specifically to your military service.

Go get your benefits, you have earned them. Your military discharge is honorable for VA purposes. ~Wings

Edited by Wings

So I went to my C&P exam today in the morning. I was picked up by a mental health screener and brought into a small room. This was my first time at the VA. I got screened, told the truth, took the advice from the forums that I read about not embellishing anything and just being upfront and truthful. The screener said something about how I had served my time and she thanked me for it, and that just about made me lose it in there. She then brought me up to get registered for health insurance. Went down to the OEF/OIF transition area, and she made an appointment for me to be seen by an emergency room physician that day. Everyone kept saying I had major depression and they needed to treat me that day. Ended up getting prescribed effexor and klonopin.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like you are on your way to getting some relief. Wings gave you some of the best advice I have seen here on the board. Keep us posted ont he outcome and Finally Welcome Home.

J

So I received a letter today from "Health Eligibility Center" from Atlanta, GA and in it said I was part of priority group 5, meaning no service disability? Is this the final result of the decision, or is this just stating what i'm qualified for now while they are still reviewing?

So confused.