VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C And P For Left Leg Radiculopathy

Rate this question

Intrepid1

Question

I have an exam in October for secondary left leg radiculopathy related to my service Connected DDD and Arthritis of the spine. Both of these are currently at zero with appeals in process.

I very recently had spinal fusion surgery on the L5-S1 due to DDD. The numbness in my left foot and peripheral pain in my left thigh have not abated since the surgery. The numbness is always there and the pain comes and goes, although not as frequently. The L5-S1 disc was degenerated so badly that I had bone on bone contact. I am still in recovery mode, awaiting convalescence from the VA. I am wearing my hard brace for at least a couple more weeks and will shift to the soft corset. I will then will go into physical therapy shortly thereafter.

What can I expect and what are good questions to ask during this exam?

My Neurosurgeon is writing a letter specifically detailing the nerve damage he saw during the fusion surgery and the effect on my left lower extremity. I am also bringing in the x-rays of my spine post surgery as well.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Intrepid,

Welcome to Hadit. I am not sure which C&P worksheet would cover this, but if you look at the pinned topic above (this forum) you will see a list of the C&P worksheets the VA uses to give the various C&Ps.

Take a look and choose the ones you think most closely pertain. By reading what they include, that could enable you to come up with questions or answers you could have written out before you go to your C&P.

There is also a reply listing some things you can do to prepare.

I wish you good journey and thank you for your service.

fanaticbooks

Went into the C and P expecting the worse. The Doctor didn't even run an EMG, she saw my Neurosurgeons notes from my MRI, called and verified I did not need one. During the exam, notes from my surgery as well as other Doctor's letter were also reviewed and entered by the VA Doctor. I told this person I sent this all in, as well as the electronic copies of my MRI's and x-ray's.

I was given the "tuning-fork" vibration test as well as the pin-prick test to establish the difference between the numbness in my right vs. left foot. Even after surgery I still have sciatic pain and constant numbness. I am still in recovery mode, brace and all, and wore it during my exam.

The Doctor was alarmed that in looking at the results in my C & P in May of 2009 she found it hard to believe that I got slammed during that exam. She said this because 14 mos. later that I had a spinal fusion on the SC L5-S1.

Gathering all she said during the exam later that day I got the results of the May 2009 exam and could not believe the report. There are three entries in the report where the examiner, I will not call this person a Doctor, contradicted themselves. I will make sure on my DRO appeal on the results of that exam that this premise is pushed to the forefront.

On another point the VA Doctor noted in my Neurosurgeon's letter that it states that i have a flattening, or reversal, of my lordotic curve due to guarding due to pain. Is this also an issue I should bring up at my appeal hearing at the DRO?

All in all the exam went better than expected.

I will keep you posted as further information is made available.