VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gonna Get Screwed Again

Rate this question

dittybopper

Question

Ok here we go. I went to my C&P exam today at mental health. I explained that my condition had began in Sept 2009 when my initial disability (knees) forced me out of work for 6 months. Due to hard economic issues and feelings of inadequency and all the stress and depression that comes with it. I even came 10 days from having my house forclosed. Then when my employer found a light duty position I could do I was verbal and publically attacked,humiliaed and taunted. This harsh treatment went on for 24 days and I was back out of work for what my medical Doctor called severe stress and severe anxiety. I just had a total breakdown on the day he diagnosed this. I was sent to a outside Pschtcolofist as well as a mental health councellor. The Pschycologist gave me a mpii2 and a PAI test. As you know if you ar going through a issue thee tests cannot be faked. These tests showed severe depression and severe anxiety with a high probability of suicide. I was then put on xanax and zoloft as well as trazadol to help with insomnia issues. After seeing these doctors (outside the VA) I was diagnosed with PTSD. With suicidal and homicidal idealations. Since the condition started because I went out of work due to my knees and I was attacked about my disability I filed for a Compensation claim with the VA. I got to my C&P today and told her what is going on and everything I was experiancing daily anxiety and depression as well as chronic pain as well as thoughts of suicide one going as far as putting a gun to my head during a panic attack luckily I came to my sences and figured out where I was before I pulled the trigger. I told jer I still had anger issues etc.. so the period of this issue has been with me for 1 year now. The lady Doctor doing my C&P looks at the Doctors letters I brought and states. I think your Doctor is wrong. I believe you have adjustment disorder. The sad part of this is adjustment disorder as I looked it up on the web can begin as much as 3 months after the event so this would be Sept to Nov. After this it lasts for 6 months and then it goes away with treatment. So it should have ended May of 2010. However the VA is having to increase my medications trying to help me cope with this. The timeline of this condition can be found on the web. So basically she is stating I have a temporary condition that will go away. Basically she stuck it to me as the VA will use this as a escape clause and say sorry we don't rate temporary conditions. The saddest part is I even explained I worked for the Postal Service and the sight of a Post Office even a delivery truck can send me into a rage or a frozen state. I have had to be held back from attacking mailmen who were just trying to deliver mail where I happened to be at. So I figure I will wait the next 4 to 5 months and recieve a letter saying "claim denied as it is only temporary. I have began the process of medical retirement from the Post Office as both my civilian Doctors feel there is a very gret chance of tragedy if i return. AS part of the medica retirement with the Post Office I also have filed for SSD. Somehow I think this VA Doctor took a huge swing at the ball and missed horribly. Which is just great I get to fight with the VA yet again because some Pschyciatrist who talked with me for about 30 minutes figures she knows better what the condition is than two trained mental health professionals (a Pschycologist and a counsellor) who have been working with me since June 2010 and april 2010 respectfully have diagnosed. I know the differance is huge between Adjustment disorder and PTSD. But my doctors tested me and have the test results with them showing PTSD (severe). I simply cannot nelieve this happened today as I know the VA will toss my Doctors recodrs and go straight off the C&P. Sorry to vent guys but this one really pissed me off.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I havent found anything on the net that would indicate adjustment disorders are temporary.

The VA has awarded compensation for them such as in this case:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files1/1000943.txt

THE ISSUES

1. Entitlement to an increased rating of greater than 30

percent for a service-connected adjustment disorder with

anxiety and depressed mood.

2. Entitlement to service connection for posttraumatic stress

disorder (PTSD).

(In this case the veteran had received 50% for adjustment disorder which the VA lowered to 30%.So perhaps they do feel this is a disability that can improve ,There was also a TDOIU issue too on remand)

It seems that you are claiming additional secondary MH issues to the SC knee problem.That makes sense.

However VA needs everything spelled out to them like they are ten years old.

I am wondering if your claim is clear as to the request for secondary MH issues.

Also did you raise the PTSD issue in the claim?

The new criteria for PTSD claims is in our PTSD forum at hadit.

dittybopper,

" I explained that my condition had began in Sept 2009 when my initial disability (knees) forced me out of work for 6 months. Due to hard economic issues and feelings of inadequency and all the stress and depression that comes with it. I even came 10 days from having my house forclosed. Then when my employer found a light duty position I could do I was verbal and publically attacked,humiliaed and taunted. This harsh treatment went on for 24 days and I was back out of work for what my medical Doctor called severe stress and severe anxiety. I just had a total breakdown on the day he diagnosed this. I was sent to a outside Pschtcolofist as well as a mental health councellor. The Pschycologist gave me a mpii2 and a PAI test. As you know if you ar going through a issue thee tests cannot be faked. These tests showed severe depression and severe anxiety with a high probability of suicide. I was then put on xanax and zoloft as well as trazadol to help with insomnia issues. After seeing these doctors (outside the VA) I was diagnosed with PTSD. With suicidal and homicidal idealations. Since the condition started because I went out of work due to my knees and I was attacked about my disability I filed for a Compensation claim with the VA."

Nothing here shows any type of stressor that would meet the criteria for PTSD, nor is there anything shown that

even if the diagnosis holds for PTSD - nothing is shown to related PTSD directly to active duty or secondary to

an injury which is already service connected.

Also, there are many different diagnosis that fall under Anxiety Disorder (Link and info below)

and what you find on the internet is only relative to the general population and not specific to YOU and YOUR

medical problems as far as the VBA is concerned - medical evidence must relate directly to you.

From 38 CFR part 4

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/38cfr4.130.htm

Anxiety Disorders------------------------------------------------------------------------9400 Generalized anxiety disorder9403 Specific (simple) phobia; social phobia9404 Obsessive compulsive disorder9410 Other and unspecified neurosis9411 Posttraumatic stress disorder9412 Panic disorder and/or agoraphobia9413 Anxiety disorder, not otherwise specified