VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Testosterone Supplementation, When To Use It?

Rate this topic

Hi all, I see some discussion about this and have researched, and it appears to me that my testosterone level of 139 ng/dl is low and should be supplemented. My PCP at the VA disagrees. This person claims the normal range is 84-402 ng/dl and therefore I am fine.. I am 51 years old, have a spinal cord injury (quadriplegic) and have the classic signs of low testosterone. What recourse do I have to this one person's assessment, if I want to try supplements?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What's your reasoning for wanting your testosterone increased??"

I have reason to believe 139 ng/dl is low and should be supplemented.

Hi all, I see some discussion about this and have researched, and it appears to me that my testosterone level of 139 ng/dl is low and should be supplemented. My PCP at the VA disagrees. This person claims the normal range is 84-402 ng/dl and therefore I am fine.. I am 51 years old, have a spinal cord injury (quadriplegic) and have the classic signs of low testosterone. What recourse do I have to this one person's assessment, if I want to try supplements?

Thanks in advance.

JonesZen, according to E's lab results the figures you mentioned should be in the 241-827 range. I think maybe the 84-402 would be in my range( you know the better half) as E's wife. It's not a fad your body needs testosterone for various reasons. By all means check with the urologist. That's who explained to us that testosterone is not for erectile dysfunction as most people believe. E's was at 175 and that was extremely low but yours is lower. Muscle tone, weakness, not being able the think clearly. wanting to sleep a lot are just some of the symptoms.

Hope you can solve this so you can feel better. Best wishes

Carolyn

JonesZen, according to E's lab results the figures you mentioned should be in the 241-827 range. I think maybe the 84-402 would be in my range( you know the better half) as E's wife. It's not a fad your body needs testosterone for various reasons. By all means check with the urologist. That's who explained to us that testosterone is not for erectile dysfunction as most people believe. E's was at 175 and that was extremely low but yours is lower. Muscle tone, weakness, not being able the think clearly. wanting to sleep a lot are just some of the symptoms.

Hope you can solve this so you can feel better. Best wishes

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, thanks for your response. I read your thread about E's testosterone and was hoping you would comment. From my understanding over the years, I agree with your points re: acceptable ranges, and symptoms of low testosterone. Supporting evidence is readily available at several reputable online sources.

The problem is my VA PCP disagrees and I don't know how to dispute the decision or get a second opinion at the VA - 21 years at this, and I still don't know how to get a second opinion at the VA. I can go to a civilian doctor and get a proper diagnosis, but VA doesn't respond to that. Don't know if Medicare will pay for testosterone supplements, guess I'll look into that.

Thanks again, and best wishes to you.