VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Testosterone Supplementation, When To Use It?

Rate this topic

Update on Testim 1% gel for E. His urology Dr. took another blood sample and E's testosterone level was at 157 (which she says is extremely low) so she prescribed Testim 1% gel to be used twice a day and after about two months time his levels are at 345 and he feels better. His levels seem to be more consistent. Dr. says his body is just not making any testosterone. He doesn't seem to want to nap as much during the day. You know the ad where the goat says nah, nah, nah? He's not totally washed out but he's not feeling like 18 again either. Oops!! I shouldn't have said that.! Ha!

Love you gals and guys,

Carolyn

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I get 400 mg(or whatever units they use to measure) injected once a month and I can't see that it's helping. I guess I don't know what to expect. I know it raises my chances of getting prostate cancer, so I'm considering dropping it.

pr

Update on Testim 1% gel for E. His urology Dr. took another blood sample and E's testosterone level was at 157 (which she says is extremely low) so she prescribed Testim 1% gel to be used twice a day and after about two months time his levels are at 345 and he feels better. His levels seem to be more consistent. Dr. says his body is just not making any testosterone. He doesn't seem to want to nap as much during the day. You know the ad where the goat says nah, nah, nah? He's not totally washed out but he's not feeling like 18 again either. Oops!! I shouldn't have said that.! Ha!

Love you gals and guys,

Carolyn

Funny, but I sat with my family doc last Friday and had the very same conversation. He showed me the bell curve and explained how levels drop over time, with aging or due to injury, and what the impacts were. He also told me that women have been using hormone replacement therapy for decades, why shouldn't men?? The reason this all came up was because I had to make an appointment with the E.D. clinic at the VAMC. He was telling me what to expect, and what to ask for if they don't do certain tests (one being testosterone). Bottom line: Testosterone decreases over time:

45-54: 606 | 393 | 819

55-64: 562 | 367 | 757

65-74: 524 | 327 | 721

75-84: 471 | 302 | 640

85-100: 376 | 242 | 510

Edited by justrluk

I was on it for about 5 years. I had a lump in my breast with pain. After I started taking it the lump went away. I was on patches, then gel, then shots. The doctor jacked up my prescription so high I started having bad dreams and panic attacks. Of course the doctor took no responsibility for it. I quit taking it and the bad dreams and panic attacks went away.

That was a year ago. I started having pains again. This time I went to a VA doctor. He told me that he has seen many bad side effects from the shots.

Today my new prescription came in the mail.I'm going back to the gel (a new type). I will start again tonight. Keep an eye on the shot side effects.

Chemo caused my low testosterone per the doctor.Plus I am getting older.

I just got another mammogram which came out negative. The lady who gave me the mammogram said more and more men are getting breast cancer. Men don't get mammograms. She said her husband had a lump and it didn't clear up. He had an operation to remove it.

I didn't mean to get off subject. The doctor said if it is too low it affects bone density, your waistline as well as other side effects.

Good luck

vet12

• 2 weeks later...

Just had mine tested, and was also told I was low. I'm 46, and really hope this will help a lot of issues. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the possible benefits, but I'm willing to try.