VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao / Ihd Treadmill Stress Test Question

Rate this question

NSA-Saigon-ET

Question

Hi Everyone,

I have suffered with Angina since 1994 and have been on medication since then. This is a result of my in-country Vietnam service and exposure to Agent Orange. I recently had to perform a treadmill stress test for the VA at a QTC facility here in Houston for my AO IHD claim.

Before the test, I was interviewed by a Doctor and I asked him if I should take the treadmill test or simply do the echo-test. His response was my choice, but that most people opt for the echo test since it is easier on the body. The results are not as conclusive as the stress test but again are easier and safer to perform.

If the stress test is attempted and cannot be completed due to fatigue or pain then they will fall back on the echo test.

Anyway, I wanted to attemp the stress test, which is actually called the Bruce Stress Test.

We did it and I was able to last long enough to reach the max. heart rate for me calculated for my age (61) to be (220bpm -age = calc heart rate) or 220 - 61 = 159bpm.

My normal heart rate at rest is around 61-65 bpm due to the medications.

The test was a success and my METS were 7.6

I looked up the IHD rating for compensation in the present table and see I fall into the 10% category as I must take my meds or suffer constant Angina attacks, but the METS level of 7.6 means I am able to ride a bike and perform some light physical work.

Now the question I have is this:

Are they basing the ratings only on the results of the stress test?

If you are testing for IHD, I would like to think that testing is performed without the medications if possible, to see what you can do and can't do.

I can't find any reference to the procedure pertaining to taking meds vs. not taking meds.

I realize that I don't need a stent as yet, but my physical ability seems to be rather curtailed which should rate a higher rating than 10%..

I am not complaining of being in better health just for the sake of a few dollars, but am concerned with the criteria for disability ratings.

Any input greatly appreciated while we wait for the last of the 60 day delay.

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hell, they're supposed to automatically start developing that contingency (IHD) if you have even so much as a wrinkle in the EEG and have AO exposure. Does anyone think they will, short of you using a taser? File it or lose more effective date. At this stage of the game it won't hold it up any other stuff. They're buried at this point. They can rate the earlier stuff now without the IHD filing grinding the gears. 125 days soon, Remember, 98% right, too.

And yes Berta. Another one is brewing in my mind. I'm especially fond of either wending one's way through the CAVC and/or the Independent Living Program. I just heard back from them on my NOD for the Greenhouse. They're (Seattle RO's VR&E krewe) grasping at straws for a well-reasoned denial, but can come up with nothing in the cupboard. I went after them as not being medical doctors (Colvin v. Derwinski) and also on Part 4 on the first 20 sections of it. You know-rude ratings officials and viewing the disability from the perspective of the Vet. M21 1R was much quoted too. I think it took the wind out of any SOC they can produce. They say they sent it back to DC and the VR&E Bosses.. Isn't that like the EAP that Leroy Macklem got a haircut on? We shall see.

So ASKNOD, you are saying to go ahead and file for to get an earlier effective date?

ASKNOD, as a superb writer, (who is also brilliant) states it like it is:

"Isn't that like the EAP that Leroy Macklem got a haircut on? We shall see."

Indeed!!~!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/us/veteran-denied-disability-to-be-repaid-after-60-years.html?_r=0

In part:

The year Leroy MacKlem lost his veterans disability compensation
for a bad hip, gasoline cost 27 cents a gallon, a Yankee shortstop
named Rizzuto was the American League’s most valuable player and
President Harry S. Truman ordered production of the hydrogen bomb. It
was 1950.

Follow @NYTNational
for breaking news and headlines.

He is about to get it back. All of it.

In a case as much about government bungling as one man’s
perseverance, the Department
of Veterans Affairs
said last week that it would end years of
litigation and repay Mr. MacKlem, 88, for six decades’ worth of
disputed disability compensation, about $400,000.

“This case has been resolved, and Mr. MacKlem will receive V.A.
disability compensation retroactive to April 1, 1950,” the
department said in a statement.

Long overdue. Regardless of whether the man deserves it, the VA has spent thrice the amount defending their stupidity.He was awaiting a ruling from the 3rd Circus on whether they would give him a Texas necktie party and tie the noose correctly given the opportunity again back at the RO. http://asknod.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/fed-cir-shinseki-v-macklem-part-2/ This is the audio and it's priceless. Leroy's mouthpiece is saying "you honor, if he goes back to VAROLAND, it's just another opportunity to fix their error. Justice will never be served if they're allowed to form another firing squad with Leroy as the guest of honor". A a matter of law, I expect he might have lost. That VA caved means some arm-twisting behind the scenes was afoot. VA's Counsel is saying "Shocked. I am shocked. Is counsel for the appellant implying the VA would be anything less than impartial in a de novo adjudication of Mr. Macklem's CUE allegations? .VA is a nonadversarial forum in which the Veteran is accorded every accommodation under the sun. We are hurt by this accusation and deeply troubled that counsel would even imply such misfeasance.

Hollis-- I advocate that you should file for the IHD now rather than wait. By the time they finally get around to adjudicating your claim, they invariably will look at the records to see if there is evidence that would sup[port a rating for IHD anyway. Absent a request for SC on it, I suspect they won't worry their pretty little heads over saying you qualify. If you do not, then your claim will be paid to the day you do file. This is not a filing for an Earlier effective date (EED) but rather a filing to preserve your place in line now so that if you win, you will be paid to this current date and not some date three years in the future when you file following resolution of claims pending today.

You are currently at 50% it won't take much to reach 60 or 70% which is the magic plateau for a TDIU but you won't get there if you don't start now. Small 10 and 20% ratings for tinnitus and hammertoe are not the building blocks of TDIU. IHD is. Good Luck and Happy Groundhog Day.

Edited by asknod

Thanks ASKNOD, I will go Monday to my VSO and file for AO, I think I may need an IMO to support my claim. If so I can get one.

• HadIt.com Elder

AskNod

Write that book about the CAVC and give it to my lawyer. I have been to CAVC twice and BVA twice on my 7 year old CUE with no end in sight. I say if you have a claim just file it. Don't wait for anything since you may not live to win or lose it ultimately.

John