VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Berta

Rate this question

Computer Tech

Question

Berta:

I was wondering if it would help my claim for diabetes & glaucoma due to herbicide exposure in Thailand if I were to send in the attached statement or something like when I sent in the CUE and other evidence? I also plan to have it notarized. Do you think I should add anything about the dust being raised when you walked anywhere around the building?

Thanks for advice.

statement.PDF

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

It could not hurt but I have a question-

I hope the attached map comes out.

I don't understand why they would spray the perimeter fence by the Friendship highway- as it seems the North and Eastern perimeter of the airbase was the critical place to spray.

I don't doubt for a second that your claim of exposure is valid.

But I have been around the VA block for over 2 decades and they might question this too.And there might well be good reason to spray along the highway.

Is the incinator in this picture?

Gee = I cant attach the picture----------------

I suggest you google Korat Camp Friendship maps and some will pop up-----

Is it at all possible that you flew into Vietnam and disembarked even for a few hours prior to flying into Thailand?

Do you have copy of your complete service personnel files?

This BVA case is on remand:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files3/1023271.txt

“In this case, although the Veteran's DD Form 214 confirms he

served in a foreign country during the Vietnam era, it

indicates that this foreign service was in Thailand and not

in Vietnam. The Veteran does not dispute this. However, he

contends that he was exposed to Agent Orange while stationed

in Korat, Thailand, as part of the 483rd Ground Engineering &

Equipment Installation Agency from October 1968 to September

1969. Specifically, the Veteran argues that he encountered

exposure as herbicides were used liberally on the bases where

his communication installations were performed. The

Veteran's service personnel records show that he served as a

Communication Electronics System Manager and as a Ground

Communications Radio Equipment Maintenance Technician. “

"2. The RO/AMC should request JSRRC (or

any other official source/agency deemed

appropriate) to provide any information

that might corroborate the Veteran's

alleged in-service exposure to Agent

Orange. The Board is particularly

interested in records and/or evidence

pertaining to the Veteran's service at

Korat, Thailand, as part of the 483rd

Ground Engineering & Equipment

Installation Agency from October 1968 to

September 1969. Information should also

be sought as to whether Agent Orange was

used as a base defoliant. If the RO/AMC

is informed that additional information

is needed from the Veteran to conduct a

search for information that might

corroborate his in-service exposure to

Agent Orange, then the Veteran should be

contacted and informed of the information

needed."

Have you contacted JSRRC (Joint Services Records Research Center) yourself for any help in proving your exposure to Agent Orange?

I've attached two pictures that I had sent with my claim last year, one is a aerial view of Camp Friendship with the computer center indicated as I remember it's location. the second picture was taken out the back door of the computer center and unfortunately the incinerator isn't shown.

They would have sprayed inside the perimeter by Friendship Highway for the same reason as they sprayed the other perimeters for visibility, Korat and Camp Friendship like the other bases had been attacked by insurgents.

I was looking at the stuff storied on my computer and found an old map of Camp Friendship and in I suppose is the southwest corner is a road leading to Jones Par and for some reason Jones Park sounds familiar, I need to check with some of the people that worked at the computer center to see if that was where the computer center was located. But I do remember that as we turned into the compound you could see the main gate, we used to joke about the Thais using the shipping crates stacked outside of Camp Friendship as housing.

I did get a copy of my service personnel files but it was just the basic stuff, I sent out a request today for my complete personnel file and my medical records.

In June I got a copy of my C-file and everything thing I sent them last year was in it so they can't say they never received it.

I don't remember stopping in Vietnam on the way to Thailand, I could be so lucky, As I remember the flight we flew out of Travis, previous to go to Thailand I was TDY to Fort Monmouth in New Jersey and the Army screwed up my travel orders telling to report to Norton AFB for transportation instead of Travis and Norton rather than putting me on a plane to Da Nang put me on a 130 to Travis. Anyway we refueled in Hawaii and in Japan so there was no need to refuel in Vietnam.

Contacting the JSRRC sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the advice and the BVA case.

I know of several other vets that worked at the computer center and have health problems and have claims in with the VA for herbicide exposure.

post-8896-088330800 1288038348_thumb.jpg

post-8896-032893700 1288038363_thumb.jpg

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/thailand.asp

Kurt Priessman (hadit member), was the very first Thailand vet I know of to succeed in his AO Thailand claim and he was instrumental in getting a C & P bulletin issued that basically covers the information here.

His MOS supported perimeter duty and he used the CHECO report ( available on the net) to prove his exposure.

James Cripps (first AO Fort Gordon CONUS award) did the same thing.Fort Gordon had been verified by DOD as AO testing area and his MOS as well proved he was on the perimeter.

Nothing is impossible.

I dont understand what you meant by 'sending in a CUE?'

Did you formally file a NOD in time?

http://www.publichea...ge/thailand.asp

Kurt Priessman (hadit member), was the very first Thailand vet I know of to succeed in his AO Thailand claim and he was instrumental in getting a C & P bulletin issued that basically covers the information here.

His MOS supported perimeter duty and he used the CHECO report ( available on the net) to prove his exposure.

James Cripps (first AO Fort Gordon CONUS award) did the same thing.Fort Gordon had been verified by DOD as AO testing area and his MOS as well proved he was on the perimeter.

Nothing is impossible.

I dont understand what you meant by 'sending in a CUE?'

Did you formally file a NOD in time?

Kurt was one of the people to help me and encourage me.

I did file my NOD on time but I screwed up and asked them to reopen my claim for diabetes, glaucoma and bilateral arthritis of feet..

In a post of mine the other day you suggested having my VSO ask the VA to CUE themselves for ignoring evidence I had submitted and not following the May C&P bulletin. I was a computer repairman so I didn't walk the perimeter as Kurt did but where I worked was on the perimeter and the area around the building was brown, barren and devoid of vegetation. When I asked the VA to reopen my claim for the diabetes and glaucoma I submitted the CHECO report, a buddy statement from someone that had been there at the same time I had been, an aerial photograph on which I indicated where I remembered the computer center being, a picture taken out the back door of the computer center show that it was brown and barren and that the perimeter fence was nearby, I've attached them to an earlier post in this thread. I also other pictures taken around the computer center showing light stripped drums lying around or being stored.