VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Statement Of Med Exam And Duty Status

Rate this question

bulldogpete

Question

I am about to submit my claim for VA disability. I have a D A 2 17 3 Form, it states my injury was in the line of duty and is likely to result in a future medical claims. Also at the time of this accident X-rays and Cat Scans were performed, They pretty much back up that my neck and back were messed up at the time of the accident.

It has been a long time (10 years) since the accident. I do have med forms showing I have been going to the chiropractor and seeing other doctors to be treated for pain associcated with those areas. Also have several current medical diagnosis and one letter from my chiropractor stating my injuries are caused by the accident that had occurred and another letter from my neuropsychologist stating the same.

My question is do you thinking that will be good enough to show a current service related injury or should I try to get some more letters?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am just worried about the long time period that had passed. The reason for the long wait, was one I was young when it happened and you never want to admit your hurt then. Also, I did not know the NG could even file a claim with the VA and finally it has been a progressive pain that has been getting worse as time goes by.

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to file the claim with copies of any evidence you have. If they need more from you they will request it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

File the claim. With the evidence you have and a current dx you will probably get a C&P and a decision. One thing that is important is showing that the original injury was treated during the 10 years, If you don't have evidence about treatment you may consider getting a Medical Opinion that states the injury occurred during you service, it been a problem over the 10 years and a current diagnosis.

Many who have injuries such as yours also suffer from a secondary problem called depression. You might consider including that if you have had problems with it.

Good Luck

Well I finally sent the claim up. I have been putting it off forever, because I just wanted to keep getting more and more evidence.

I finally just decided to send it up and see what happens. If they need anything else they will tell me, i guess.

I just hope this won't be dragged out and take forever.

I will keep you updated.

It has been a long time (10 years) since the accident. I do have med forms showing I have been going to the chiropractor and seeing other doctors to be treated for pain associcated with those areas.

bull - good - this shows Continuity of Care, which should carry some weight during your claims adjudication.

Also have several current medical diagnosis and one letter from my chiropractor stating my injuries are caused by the accident that had occurred and another letter from my neuropsychologist stating the same.

bull - did your chiropractor and neuropsychologist state that they had reviewed your SMR/STR's ?

I'm in hopes they did and also perhaps in their letters of support they made reference to the pertinent evidence

that shows your active duty injuries and accident.

They need to support their opinions with full medical rationale.

Something like, It is my medical opinion that this veterans current diagnosis of XXX is more likely / as likely as not

the result of XXX as evidenced in SMR/STR's dated XX/XX/XXXX.

It helps alot when they draw a picture for the decision maker.