VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Statement Of Med Exam And Duty Status

Rate this question

bulldogpete

Question

I am about to submit my claim for VA disability. I have a D A 2 17 3 Form, it states my injury was in the line of duty and is likely to result in a future medical claims. Also at the time of this accident X-rays and Cat Scans were performed, They pretty much back up that my neck and back were messed up at the time of the accident.

It has been a long time (10 years) since the accident. I do have med forms showing I have been going to the chiropractor and seeing other doctors to be treated for pain associcated with those areas. Also have several current medical diagnosis and one letter from my chiropractor stating my injuries are caused by the accident that had occurred and another letter from my neuropsychologist stating the same.

My question is do you thinking that will be good enough to show a current service related injury or should I try to get some more letters?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They are not as precise as you have laid out., but I am hoping are good enough.

Both are laid out similar. They basically say, "He was involved in a military accident on "such and such date". I have reviewed the medical documents taken on "such" date and all other records taken since. " The list all my current diagnosis and problems.

The chiropractor letter gives all the tests he has given me and then he wrote, "It is my opinion that the patients current problems are caused by injuries he received in the military on "such and such" date. Then he references injuries that are show on my Xray and CT scan taken on date of military accident.

The second doctor lists the same thing, but he says "The patients current medical conditions are likely associated with the injuries he received during his military accident. He also reference's impressions on my xray and CT scan."

I am more worried about the second doctor's statement. As it only says "likely associated with". I am hoping that may be good enough. I am pretty sure, I could get him to write another one, if needed. He was unsure of the correct language. I just don't know if I should wait and see what the VA says about it though. That way if they shoot down, I can have a better idea on what is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Wanted to add, several of my current doctor's wrote in my medical records "The patient was involved in a military accident, X years ago. As a result of the accident, he had a documented injuries to his neck and back. He has been having progressive pain ever since the accident." Then they list the type of treatment I have been recieving for these injuries.

I gave them all copies of my military records.

Will this help any?

Also, I attached several medical studies about what causes one on my medical conditions and how it relates to my military accident. Will medical studies help out any?

They are not as precise as you have laid out., but I am hoping are good enough.

Both are laid out similar. They basically say, "He was involved in a military accident on "such and such date". I have reviewed the medical documents taken on "such" date and all other records taken since. " The list all my current diagnosis and problems.

The chiropractor letter gives all the tests he has given me and then he wrote, "It is my opinion that the patients current problems

( chiropractor needs to state exactly what current problems)

are caused by injuries he received in the military on "such and such" date. Then he references injuries that are show on my Xray and CT scan taken on date of military accident.

The second doctor lists the same thing, but he says "The patients current medical conditions

(second doctor needs to state what current medical conditions)

are (needs to state are as likely as not) likely associated with (a result of) the injuries he received during his military accident. He also reference's impressions on my xray and CT scan."

I am more worried about the second doctor's statement. As it only says "likely associated with". I am hoping that may be good enough. I am pretty sure, I could get him to write another one, if needed. He was unsure of the correct language. I just don't know if I should wait and see what the VA says about it though. That way if they shoot down, I can have a better idea on what is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I attached several medical studies about what causes one on my medical conditions and how it relates to my military accident. Will medical studies help out any?

bull,

This is just my opinion but I feel studies do not hold much weight unless they are a part of what the

doctor's put in writing and relate them directly to you and your disability's.

Example:

I have been diagnosed by my VAMC with GERD.

I have taken VAMC supplied aspirin for a SC'd condition for over 20 years.

I requested SC for GERD secondary to the already SC'd condition, that I take the aspirin for.

I submitted several medical treaties linking GERD to NASID's (aspirin) use.

The RO denied the claim stating the examiner's opinion was that my GERD was caused by my NSC Hiatal Hernia

and the medical treaties were not related directly to my condition but to the public in general.

It could go differently for you - but that's how mine turned out.

JMHO

Got a letter from the VA a couple of days ago, wanting me to take several C & P examinations. I have already submitted all medical documentation from my private doctors, is this good or bad news that they want me to take these exams. Since they scheduled these, does that mean they feel my conditions are related to my military injury and they are trying to decide the extent of the disability?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Got a letter from the VA a couple of days ago, wanting me to take several C & P examinations. I have already submitted all medical documentation from my private doctors, is this good or bad news that they want me to take these exams. Since they scheduled these, does that mean they feel my conditions are related to my military injury and they are trying to decide the extent of the disability?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It means that they feel your issues are plausible, just go to the C&P's - don't miss one.