VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Vs Smp (Housebound)

Rate this topic

Im trying to figure this out. I was awarded 100% for depression, and SMP housebound. I dont get any money for housebound. I thought being 100% P and T, I am not eligible for Pension, so I am guessing I should get SMC for Housebound. The decision, which awarded 100% for depression states:

5. Entitlement to special monthly pension based on housebound. While not specifically claimed or appealed by the veteran, de novo review of evidence in connection with his NOD shows entitlement to special monthly pension based on Housebound.

Entitlement to special monthly pension based on Housebound is granted where the Veteran has a single disability evaluated at 100% and has other disabilities that can be evaluated at a seperate 60 percent evaluatin; or when the evidence shows the veteran is housbound "in-fact".

The veteran meets the criteria for special monthly pension based on housebound as of (date), the date his VA treatment reports he began using a CPAP for treatment on his nonservice connected sleep apnea (warranting a 50% evaluation for pension purposes) as the Veteran has single disability evaluated at 100% disabling as of his date (i.e., his service connected depression) and his other service connected and nonservice connected disabilities (including his NSC sleep apnea) combine to an independent seperate evaluation of 60%.

Therefore, entitlement to special monthly pension based on Housebound is granted effective (date).

Please Note: While service connected disabilities and non service connected disabilities may be used in determining entitlement to special monthly pension, only service connected disabilities may be uses in determinging entitlement to special monthly compensation.

----end quote of decision---

As I said, I think this means I get SMP and not SMC Housebound, as its in part NSC. Is anyone familiar with this? It seems like I should get something for Housebound???

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you don't get money because it is SMP and not SMC. If you had a NSC pension then you would get extra for the SMP. Since you get 100% SC and the reason you are HB is for NSC disability you don't get the money. That is my guess.

Thanks for the response. I seem to recall that Housebound (SMP) was in addition to Pension. I am eligible for Pension, because I used to get it (before I got 100% SC). Does any one get SMP Housebound PENSION who is 100%? Thanks for your responses.