VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Iris Answer

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

Here is the answer to my Iris I posted to the VA this morning:

Thank you for your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs dated November 1, 2010 regarding the status of your claim.

Claims for the three new presumptive conditions of exposure to Agent Orange will be given priority when the Congressional review of the regulation that will be used to rate these claims has been completed. As of this date there has been no official word regarding this review. Information should be forthcoming soon.

I was under the opinion this was all over and done with!! Why are they STALLING MORE!

Anyone hearing anything else???

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I put in a IRIS inquiry in last night about midnight, got answer this AM. FAST!!!

"Your claim for IHD is developed and is at the raters, they will be done in the order that they were received" Initial claim 1/06 denied, refiled Heart Disease now filed as IHD due to AO exposure. Just a waiting game until it is finished.

Dave

RO is Louisville,KY

I put in an IRIS request for current status of claim yesterday morning and received the following response yesterday afternoon:

"This is in response to your recent inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs dated November 4, 2010, in regard to the status of your claim.

To provide you with an update regarding the three Agent Orange presumptive conditions, the Department of Veterans Affairs sent the final rules to add the three new diseases to the list of presumptive service connected conditions related to exposure to Agent Orange. Parkinson’s, B-cell leukemia’s, and ischemic heart disease (IHD) are in the final rules which were published in the August 31, 2010 edition of the Federal Register.

The effective date of the rules is the publication. VA however we were not able to start paying benefits because these rules were subject to a 60 day stay provided for in the Congressional Review Act (CRA). Now that this review period has expired, we are beginning to make decisions and process payments for these presumptive conditions. Generally, they will be priority processed in the order they were received.

Our records indicate that as of June 4, 2010, your claim is ready for a decision. We will review your claim to make sure we have everything we need to make an informed decision. If we have everything we need, we will prepare a proposed decision on your claim.

The length of time it takes to complete the decision phase depends on several factors, such as the type of claim filed or the availability of evidence needed to decide your claim.

The decision phase is completed on most claims between 16 and 27 business days. Please be advised that a claim may take longer in this phase based on the specifics of your claim. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work our way through the claim processing procedures.

Generally, if benefits are payable, you may be entitled to a retroactive payment; however, we will not know until we make a final decision. You will receive notification via U.S. mail once your claim has been finalized, explaining our decision in detail.

Our records also indicate that a Nehmer claim has been established for you. In regard to the Nehmer ruling, we must review claims previously filed for these diseases and make payments retroactive to the claim date, or to the date of the Nehmer ruling, Sept. 25, 1985, whichever is later. You may considered under the Nehmer ruling if you had previously filed a claim for your IHD and were denied.

We are going to review those cases on our own...back to the earliest date Veteran’s claimed these disabilities -- but not earlier than Nehmer -- and will award benefits from that date.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below."

I'll let you guys know when I get something in the mail.

Marv<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

WOW- they sure gave you a lot of info here-

"The length of time it takes to complete the decision phase depends on several factors, such as the type of claim filed or the availability of evidence needed to decide your claim."

This makes sense.It pays to even send them copies of medical records that apply to the AO claim and tell them dates of any past denied claims for the now AO presumptive disability.

"The decision phase is completed on most claims between 16 and 27 business days." I have not seen any statement like that from VA until you posted this. This is good news.

With proof of AO exposure, and any ECHO or METS results and diagnosis of IHD, there should be no problem in awarding many of the IHD claims right off the bat.

Edited by Berta

Just got this back from an IRIS I sent in yesterday at 3:30, So I guess I am still waiting along with a bunch of other VETS, wish I had better news for everyone!!

trnsp.gif Trying to find out what the status is of two claims, first claim is for IHD i...trnsp.gif Discussion Thread Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)11/05/2010 03:31 PM Dear Mr. Morris:

This is in response to your recent inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), dated November 4, 2010, in regards to the status of your claims.

Thank you for contacting the VA. Our records indicate that we are working your claim dated November 11, 2009, for ischemic heart disease based on herbicide exposure. The final regulation was recently published and VA is currently processing these claims. A VA employee will review all the evidence and make a decision regarding your claim. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of claims we are unable to provide a time frame for completion.

We are processing your claim dated July 13, 2010, for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A review of your examination is being conducted. Once it is determined that all information has been gathered, your claim will be forwarded to a VA employee who reviews all the evidence and makes the decision regarding the claim. From there it will go to the team that prepares the claim package for final review. Once this is complete the staff will review the information for accuracy of the claim and send you a notification letter, which is usually the final step.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. You may contact us anytime by submitting a new inquiry at https://iris.va.gov, call 1-800-827-1000, or visit our web site at www.va.gov.

Thank you for your service to our country!

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

National IRIS Response Center Manager

RW

trnsp.gif Trying to find out what the status is of two claims, first claim is for IHD i...trnsp.gif Discussion Thread Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)11/05/2010 03:31 PM Dear Mr. Morris:

This is in response to your recent inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), dated November 4, 2010, in regards to the status of your claims.

Thank you for contacting the VA. Our records indicate that we are working your claim dated November 11, 2009, for ischemic heart disease based on herbicide exposure. The final regulation was recently published and VA is currently processing these claims. A VA employee will review all the evidence and make a decision regarding your claim. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of claims we are unable to provide a time frame for completion.

We are processing your claim dated July 13, 2010, for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A review of your examination is being conducted. Once it is determined that all information has been gathered, your claim will be forwarded to a VA employee who reviews all the evidence and makes the decision regarding the claim. From there it will go to the team that prepares the claim package for final review. Once this is complete the staff will review the information for accuracy of the claim and send you a notification letter, which is usually the final step.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. You may contact us anytime by submitting a new inquiry at https://iris.va.gov, call 1-800-827-1000, or visit our web site at www.va.gov.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

RW

Trying to find out what the status is of two claims, first claim is for IHD i...

Discussion Thread

Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)

11/05/2010 03:31 PM

Dear Mr. Morris:

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

Trying to find out what the status is of two claims, first claim is for IHD i...trnsp.gif Discussion Thread Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)11/05/2010 03:31 PM Dear Mr. Morris:

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

Well I did receive a notification today that denied two of the items I had claimed for SC, but on the IHD claim, they said it is deferred until they review the new claim criteria on IHD. I would have thought they should already have it, but we all know the VA, stall and delay tatics.

This is what I just received back from my IRIS inquiry. I am in Nashville, TN. Notice I said I have no other medical evidence on 9/7/2010 and they still state they are waiting for information from DR. It also states in the 1st line they received pertinent information. The VA doctor in his exam agrees with what my cardiologist says.. What is the hold up???

trnsp.gif IRC REFERRAL - I would like current status and any other information regarding my Nehmer cla...trnsp.gif Discussion Thread Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)11/04/2010 06:24 PM Dear Mr. Murdock:

This is in response to your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated November 1, 2010, regarding the status of your claim.

A claim was established on November 19, 2009, for ischemic heart disease. We received pertinent medical evidence from Skyline Medical Plaza on February 5, 2010. The medical reports from VA requested exams were received on April 7, 2010. We received VA Form 21-526b, Veteran's Supplemental Claim for Compensation, your letter, and a copy of the initial rating. On August 23, 2010, we received VA Form 21-4138, Statement in Support of Claim. A second VA Form 21-4138 was received on September 7, 2010, advising you had no additional evidence. We did not receive a response from Dr. George Crafton to our requests for information.

If you have copies of your medical evidence or can obtain copies from your providers, submitting these yourself can reduce or eliminate the wait time for medical evidence.

As of October 30, 2010, eligible Vietnam-era Veterans exposed to herbicides and disabled by chronic b-cell leukemias, Parkinson’s disease, or ischemic heart disease, may begin receiving disability and health care benefits on approved claims. Claims are generally worked in date order of receipt. We are currently working to obtain supporting evidence for your claim. A decision has not been reached. The length of time to complete the claim is dependent on many factors, such as the type of claim filed and the availability of evidence to support your claim. Claims are generally processed in 128-206 days. Please be advised a claim may take longer in this phase based on the specifics of your claim.

We have sent this inquiry to the regional office, requesting an update on the status of your claim. We will follow up after a response is received.

Thank you for your service to our country. You served our country with pride, dignity, and honor. The sacrifices and dedication to freedom you exhibited during and after service are held in high regard. You and your fellow Veterans exemplify the greatness of our country.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

kma

trnsp.gif IRC REFERRAL - I would like current status and any other information regarding my Nehmer cla...trnsp.gif Discussion Thread Response (Department of Veterans Affairs)11/04/2010 06:24 PM Dear Mr. Murdock:

This is in response to your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated November 1, 2010, regarding the status of your claim.

A claim was established on November 19, 2009, for ischemic heart disease. We received pertinent medical evidence from Skyline Medical Plaza on February 5, 2010. The medical reports from VA requested exams were received on April 7, 2010. We received VA Form 21-526b, Veteran's Supplemental Claim for Compensation, your letter, and a copy of the initial rating. On August 23, 2010, we received VA Form 21-4138, Statement in Support of Claim. A second VA Form 21-4138 was received on September 7, 2010, advising you had no additional evidence. We did not receive a response from Dr. George Crafton to our requests for information.

If you have copies of your medical evidence or can obtain copies from your providers, submitting these yourself can reduce or eliminate the wait time for medical evidence.

As of October 30, 2010, eligible Vietnam-era Veterans exposed to herbicides and disabled by chronic b-cell leukemias, Parkinson’s disease, or ischemic heart disease, may begin receiving disability and health care benefits on approved claims. Claims are generally worked in date order of receipt. We are currently working to obtain supporting evidence for your claim. A decision has not been reached. The length of time to complete the claim is dependent on many factors, such as the type of claim filed and the availability of evidence to support your claim. Claims are generally processed in 128-206 days. Please be advised a claim may take longer in this phase based on the specifics of your claim.

We have sent this inquiry to the regional office, requesting an update on the status of your claim. We will follow up after a response is received.

Thank you for your service to our country. You served our country with pride, dignity, and honor. The sacrifices and dedication to freedom you exhibited during and after service are held in high regard. You and your fellow Veterans exemplify the greatness of our country.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

kma

A claim was established on November 19, 2009, for ischemic heart disease. We received pertinent medical evidence from Skyline Medical Plaza on February 5, 2010. The medical reports from VA requested exams were received on April 7, 2010. We received VA Form 21-526b, Veteran's Supplemental Claim for Compensation, your letter, and a copy of the initial rating. On August 23, 2010, we received VA Form 21-4138, Statement in Support of Claim. A second VA Form 21-4138 was received on September 7, 2010, advising you had no additional evidence. We did not receive a response from Dr. George XXXXX to our requests for information.

Sincerely yours,

E. J. Kruse

kma