VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Frustrated

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I received my employment questionaire from the VA back in August. This was the first year that I had to fill it out since I was just granted IU last year in Feb O9. I mailed it in and made a copy for my records. Then I got to thinking about what some have said on this site, about the VA claiming they never got it. I then made another copy and sent it certified, thinking that was the best way. Well last week I get a letter from the VA stating since they did not receive my questionaire; they were going to reduce my award back to the 80% instead of the IU. I couldn't believe it. So I took the copy that I had with the certified label, and printed out when it was received by the VA and who signed for it. I went down to the VA and spoke with a gentleman, showing him my evidence that I had mailed it in time. His response was that just because they recieved something in the building doesn't mean they got it. HUH!!! WTF does that even make sense? You are saying you can get something in the mail sign for it; and still there are no guarantees it will be processed, you can just hope whoever signs for it feels like doing thier job that day? This is what we have to deal with?

/doc

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

When I was to be reduced due to VARO screw up's it was a VARO supervisor who advised me to request a personal hearing with a DRO asap it needed to be before 30 days of date of letter. I sent my request certified/registered and faxed it to my VSO so they handed it in and it was date stamped too...As well as faxing it to my VARO too.This will protect your 100% and will not be reduced while you are waiting for the DRO hearing...I have heard from others too how the VA contact persons are stating they do not read info sent and cannot verify what was sent.

I was not 100% then but was advised whenever the VA tries to do this to you, ALWAYS protect your current award! Unfortunately the VARO kept shuffling the VA rep all over till they finally shipped(transferred) him a few states away.

It took over 7 months for my hearing and 7 more to receive my transcript and less than one for the VARO to cue themself for the error of trying to reduce me and granted me 20% more on my original claim then it was then.

I always received my award amount all these months, never reduction as I acted upon it PDQ!!

Do all you can now to protect this now!!

Edited by halos2

Thanks guys, Berta, Carlie, and John I will from now one be proactive. I won't wait to receive it any more but will print it out and walk it through.

This is another case and point where it is good to send the information through a service officer. When they send the information in, there is addtional proof that the information was sent. There are uses for service officer. Even if you handle your own claim, use them as backup.

After over a year, I'm still waiting for the VA to process my claim for TDIU. They made a mistake in not sending me to all the appropriate DR's for the C+P Exams, so they rated my case with the info they had and then resubmitted my file with my original claim date [did get bumped from 60% SC to 90% SC in the initial rating decision]. From the way it appears they are scrambling to complete my case.

This leads me to the point that, without having sent ALL my info to my DAV SO, I'd likely be told that I made a mistake in not sending in the needed forms or some other BS.

I ALWAYS submit info to the VA through the DAV, that way I have an additional line of verification that my documents have been received at the VARO. Not sure if all SO's do this, but I get a letter in the mail within a day or two from the DAV that my info was directly received by the VARO.

KEEP UP THE FIGHT!

Lyndenrider

I just went through a situation a few months ago on my claim and was saved by the fact that the DAV rep was submitting my information for me. I submitted an IMO and asked for a reconsideration based on new medical evidence. I then got a letter from the VA stating that my claim was still denied based on the fact that I had not submitted any new medical evidence! My DAV rep went to work immediately and straightened the whole thing out. Although my claim is still going through the appeal process, If I had not submitted the IMO through my DAV rep I would have been up the creek without a paddle and yet another delay would have been in the mix. As we all know there are some bad apples in the VA claims process that will conveniently lose information to get your file off of their desk and delay your claim. This little trick is virtually impossible with your Rep submitting your info and tracking it. This approach sure made a believer out of me and saved me an additional headache and delay.