VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav, Good Or Bad?

Rate this question

abean

Question

Don't know much about the organization. All I know is that they seem to know more about my husbands claim than me, hubby, and VA. We really don't know how they got our info. Are they legit? Is it an edge to use them?

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

they are legit and can be good or bad depending on your iso, i've had good and bad from the dav, but the dav stood by me during my dro and though i thought they would be unprepared, they were very prepared and my claim was approved.

• HadIt.com Elder

These folks are trained to assist you in the claims process. You have to give them your POA in order for them to represent you. They do have a person who actually works at the regional office and they are good for turning stuff in to the VA and getting information. That is what I would use them for.

J

Yes -they are very legit.

The BEST vet rep your husband will ever have is himself -and you -if you can help him.But I agree it is good to have a rep on your POA.

My husband had the DAV and after he died I maintained them on POA for 3 years. The rep we had was very negative regarding the evidence.Even when my husband was awarded SSA solely for PTSD, the rep told me maybe this would help his PTSD claim and maybe not.He had never heard of WAshington V Derwinski.(SSA finding solely for service connected disability is probative evidence of unemployability due to service)

I won his claims myself.Unfortunately he had already died when the award letters came.

MANY DAV reps however are Very good.And they are overworked and overwhelmed.

Being proactive about a claim and gathering the evidence the VA says they need in the VCAA letter is what helps a claim to succeed.

Actually I didn't win his claims at all -I said that wrong-- the overwhelming evidence did.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you are new to the claims process, a representative like the DAV may be able to help get you moving in the right direction. The DAV has been an ok resource for me. I prefer to research here on Hadit first, which is a fantastic resource. I then prepare a draft then run my paperwork past the DAV representative and my county VSO to make sure nothing is overlooked. It never hurts to get a second and third opinion. Most of the time, no changes are required and they are surprised how well the claim was assembled.

My VAMC DAV rep only works by appointments, which are usually scheduled a week or two away. My RO is 100 miles away and I don't have time to spend an entire day in their waiting room, so I deal with them periodically by phone. It usually takes a few days for them to get back with me.

If you give the DAV a POA, the representatives at the RO have access more of your information at the VA than you do. They have been able to give more details about claims than what the 1-800 or IRIS did.

In the end, remember this - you are responsible for your claim. Some representatives are great, but some are not. I hope you get a really good rep.