VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav, Good Or Bad?

Rate this question

abean

Question

Don't know much about the organization. All I know is that they seem to know more about my husbands claim than me, hubby, and VA. We really don't know how they got our info. Are they legit? Is it an edge to use them?

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We can't actually do an appeal yet because we never received an "official denial" from the VA. The VA told us it hasn't been decided yet, and they have no idea how the DAV said it was denied back in October. According to the VA the file has bounced around back and forth at the rating board, I guess the rating people needed more records. Anyways, it is now supposedly at the rating board for the initial decision.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the DAV guy got my husband's file mixed with someone else's? Why else would he be trying to explain determinations for Agent Orange to him when he isn't even old enough to have been in Vietnam???

I'm expecting a denial, just because I know you have to appeal the heck out of these things even though his SSDI was awarded on first try.

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is how I look at DAV, A good VSO is hard to find and when the DAV has one they stand out and Veterans learn through grapevine and they pile in asking for the good ones who eventually get worn out.

Your best advocate is the Veteran using Hadit to monitor and check on how the claim is handled. Never trust anything that is not in writing and expect that over the life of the claim mistakes will be made.

Get copies of all the medical records that you can. Don't request copies of C File until you either have just begun a claim or after a decision has been made.

Make sure and get copies of your progress notes and medical records from the VA facility that you use. Remember that these records are often separate and not in your C File.

• HadIt.com Elder

My gripe with the VSO's including the DAV is that they seem to have a different agenda than us vets. They believe that closing a claim with any kind of win is the ultimate victory. Never has a VSO sat down with me and said " Here is the plan we need to follow to get you the rating you deserve". They have always just taken the facts I have given them and run with them. When they get any kind of increase they stop and start trying to get me to drop my appeals. If I had done that I would have lost thousands of dollars. They seem to have the same disease that the VA has which is to tell you that you don't have a claim if they don't understand the facts, rules and regulations of the case. If your claim is complicated chances are they will tell you that you don't have one. There are many people here who know much more than NSO's who are paid to win claims.

The DAV is a good place to go to submit the initial claim. After all, you need an organization to have your back if there is an appeal. After the claim is filed, you are totally on your own. You will not receive any status reports, or any information from them what so ever. You are on your own. Its up to you to call the #800, check E-Benefits, or respond to any letters the VA will send you. They will not call you and offer you any assistance for checking on the status of your claim. What they will offer you is an membership to join their organization and pay the dues. I have gone to the DAV numerous times and can not count the # of VETS in there complaining on them and the other service organization regarding claims. I have referred numerous VEts to this site so they can learn how to do there own claim without going through any group. You should have some type of organization supposedly representing you-saying they have a power of attorney on your claim for generic purposes only!

I have noticed a few VETS here who received notice from their VSO'S when they have a claim decision. My question is why haven't I never received any notices from DVA in AZ . Does it depend upon the part of the country you live in or

whether you have a very close buddy relationship with your service officer? 9 service officers and no communication. I called the 800# last week and was told that I don't need to call for another month, and I am very sorry but we don't

know why you haven't received a response from 3 IRIS enquiry follow ups as the

original one from January hasn't answered yet. Its nice to have a service officer who not only helps the VEts file a claim, but finds time to communicate back to them and lets them know how their claim is proceeding. That is the VSO I

like to have. My next goal is to find out the process for being a VSO so I can provide the type of assistance we need in AZ-trust me its lacking here.

Edited by COOL BREEZE

I got a 2nd opinion from another DAV service officer today. This guy was a complete jerk.. He mentioned why would I file a claim that has no chance of hell getting approved(my words to put this in prospective) Another words if this claim distances itself from another claim why bother. My example was since I was now diagnosed with nerve damage in my feet-vice just foot pain as the original 0% claim years ago-why would you file another claim to get service connected for the rest of the body. They only give you 10%.

Nerve damage can start from the feet and can go upward. My whole body is now affected. I am going to file another claim in the future without any service officer-this will be put in as secondary to my feet. Then let the rater make their decision, not DAV. The want to pick and choose what and how you file. If that is the case, why did I stay 10% for 14 years(with their help) and when I filed again by myself without their blessing - I am now rated 50%. I would still be rated 10% if I had followed their advice and did nothing. The current VSO had a really negative attitude when I explain why I wanted to appeal .

Vets are better off in doing all their claims by themselves with the assistance of this forum.