VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Or Aid And Attendance

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

I had 3 level SC lumbar fusion and am currently on appeal for TDIU Surgeon supported my claim for IU and Severe Arthritis secondary to SC IVDS. I applied for Aid and attendance since my ability to do task like bathing hygine and lifting/bending are limted. My nuerosurgeon also stated the arthritis was advanced for my age as secondary to my SC back. I did get the neat sock apparatus but I still need the help with dressing and trasnfering in out bed/bath. I read the SMC and do not know where I stand. I had the surgeon do the examination for AA and sent it off. I am still waiting on VA as predicted but I cannot afford to pay for someone to come in everyday. I am at the mercy of Freinds and family for time being. All documents sent in and all records recieved from all sources. My surgeon who got on the ball after seeing the atrophy of my left leg and increased the muscle spasm medicine sugested I ask for theraphy. I laughed told him I was lucky to get the sock device.

I am waiting on these claims to go through but is there a way to get my house adapted like ramps and moving stuff up high? If it falls it stays there until I can get the grabber or someone comes over.I know there are others out here who have the same problems so any advice on what any of you did in my shape. I am 60,30,10,10,10 % wise equals 80%. I have not been rated for my current fusion or arthritis, nueropathy, sciatica and atrophy of left leg TDIU. Just figured I would throw that in those are my claims right now at the rating board since October 19th 2010. I have a lot of records/evidence to go through that is why it is taking so long. I knpw the wording of the claim hurts a lot of veterans as the VA will ignore what you meant to claim and deny a wrongly worded claim. Have a good day

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

SAH, SHA & TRA have to be approved by the rating board. What you want right now is the HISA grant administered by the VAMC.

Thanks I will look into that grant. I may be putting the cart before the horse but I get confused on what to ask for? My situation is that I am currently rated at a blazing 10% for my back prior to my surgery in May. I got my Surgeon to give his opinion of where I am. He wrote that I am unable to lift anything over 15lbs. I am unable to sit or stand for any length of time I am bedridden a good bit of the time. I suffer from constant pain and back spasms. I do not sleep much I am in a plot of pain right now with the weather changing. Cold weather kicks my tail. I can promise one thing just as soon as I can afford it I am moving somewhere warmer.

The surgeon wrote that my SC back and its current arthritic condition make me unemployable. I applied for IU lost i and it is on appeal at the state level at this time. I have looked at the law and I am not sure what I can apply for but the grant I will have to look into.

I am on a walker/crutches before and after surgery. I need help to get out of bed into out of shower. Transferring from the house to vehicle is tricky. I have to get others to drive for me as the meds I take I dare not drive. I cannot bend to wash and clean myself without help. Tying shoes socks is a thing of the past even though I am impressed by the tube with the rope. I could go on and on but what I need is help around the house. My wife has since left and I am really wanting to get some paid help rather than depend on any of the people I know of. My left leg is in serious atrophy as I fall a good bit for some reason the nerves spasm and the left leg shoots out from underneath me. If any SMC/Aid and Attendance experts can tell me which way they would go? I am probably right about waiting to see which way to go after the rating board goes. If my claim goes ahead and clears the rating board I will advise. I know this was a long post just frustrated a bit hope you all can relate....