VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newly Rated...aid And Attendance Questions

Rate this topic

Newly rated veterans 100% TDIU. I am rated at 70% bi-polar disorder, 10 tininitus with open claim for hearing loss. I am presently receiving care from the VA for my mental disorders and have just been placed into a VA program call MHICM (Mental Health Intensive Case Management) b/c I have had 4 suicide attempts and three 51/50's this year. I have a team of social workers that come to my home twice a week to make sure I am taking my meds. and that I am not in a major state of decompensation. This works somewhat, b/c I do get them out here to really see what my life is like on a weekly basis but I am concerned that when I move from San Francisco (can't wait to have open space for me and my dog) that I will not be in range of a VA for this service. Actually, I would like to have my sister live with me (she is single and a nurse) to help make sure that I am not burning up my house, overdosing on my meds and trying to commit suicide when I hit my low's.

What are the procedures/things that I would have to do to file for this type of compensation to help me live a semi-normal, uneventful life?

Subman1

70 Bi-polar

10 Tinnitus

US Naval Submarine Service 1988 - 1994

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess the answer to your question would depend on where you want to live, and what VA services are available in that area.

As to how to find out, I'd suggest you talk at least initially, to a patient advocate at your local VA currently providing care to you.

I don't know of any master index of services and locations that would have the detail you need..

I do know that there can be a big difference from one location to another, even when they supposedly provide the same care/services.

Newly rated veterans 100% TDIU. I am rated at 70% bi-polar disorder, 10 tininitus with open claim for hearing loss. I am presently receiving care from the VA for my mental disorders and have just been placed into a VA program call MHICM (Mental Health Intensive Case Management) b/c I have had 4 suicide attempts and three 51/50's this year. I have a team of social workers that come to my home twice a week to make sure I am taking my meds. and that I am not in a major state of decompensation. This works somewhat, b/c I do get them out here to really see what my life is like on a weekly basis but I am concerned that when I move from San Francisco (can't wait to have open space for me and my dog) that I will not be in range of a VA for this service. Actually, I would like to have my sister live with me (she is single and a nurse) to help make sure that I am not burning up my house, overdosing on my meds and trying to commit suicide when I hit my low's.

What are the procedures/things that I would have to do to file for this type of compensation to help me live a semi-normal, uneventful life?

Subman1

70 Bi-polar

10 Tinnitus

US Naval Submarine Service 1988 - 1994

• HadIt.com Elder

YOur Social workers can help you. Ask them to write a statement to help you and file for A&A. It cant hurt.

By the way, what boats were you on.

J

Subman

I recommend you do your homework. As my brother used to say, "the 5 P's...Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance".

If your goal is to move to another area near your sister and get Aid and Attendance for her to care for you, (and have a normal suicide attempt free life), then write it down.

Lists the steps on how to "get there". Dont skip steps, and do a thorough job on each one. Example, which you can feel free to use or adapt to your circumstances:

1. Research possible places to live near VA hospitals. Find out how much average rent is in that area, if that is a concern. Google is a great research tool. Just open your browser, and type in google. Then type in something like, "VA hospital locations...Georgia".

2. Make a list of your "top 5"...using YOUR criteria, which may include, say, "close proximity to ski area, or NFL team, for example".

3. Inform your sister of your plans, and ask her which of those 5 she would prefer..if any.

4. Go on hadit, CAVC searches, Veterans Benefit Network, etc., and find out the 5 w's about aid and attendance. Who what how when why..

5. Dont forget the details..as well as "alternates"..Plan B, C, etc.

6. Remember, to get others help, which you need, you will get more flies with honey than vinegar.

7. Realize there will be roadblocks to your plan, and figure out how to get past them. Persist until you make it happen.

• HadIt.com Elder

You should think first about staying in an area where you have a support system in place. You take your troubles with you where ever you go. There is no happy place out in the country where all problems vanish. If you get out of range of services it could really cost you. A person who has attempted suicide needs to be very near help and not out in the boonies.