VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

8018 Multiple Sclerosis?

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

With a claim for 8018 Multiple sclerosis, should a veteran file for MS only with no secondary issues?

I read that MS alone provides a 30% rating. My SO is claiming I would be better off to drop the secondary issues of fatigue, urinary, balance, bipolar, cognitive issues, etc until i'm rated for MS. Than file for the secondary issues.

It took 13 yrs to recieve a firm diagnoses and my claim for MS has been on hold for the last 5 yrs.

At age 62 I really don't want to spend the next 10 yrs fighting for secondary issues. He's saying it's hurting my claim from being approved.

I was sent for a C&P for other claims last May. While there the VARO asked the examiner to examine me to see if I have a neurological disorder while I have a current claim for MS before them to decide.

Shouldn't I have had a complete C&P examination of me and my records that show current diagnoses of MS and have the examiner determine if it's service connected or not?

The examiner sent a seperate letter that he discovered I had a neuro problem and should bring it to my PCP's attention.. No duh?

Sence they denied my claim again a couple weeks ago, should I request in my NOD to have another C&P asking the examiner to determine if my current diagnoses (they've finally reconized) is service connected, or does the rater determine that with their professional medical opinion?

Thanks for any replies.

Allan

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

As this BVA decision states MS claim can be very complex:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0942349.txt

"They kept repeating, a claim for MS may still be granted if I can prove a diagnoses during or shortly after service."

The 'shortly after' means within 7 years after discharge.

"Last I checked raters don't carry an MD's license, There fore they shouldn't be allowed to carry more weight in their medical opinions of a complex neuromuscular disorder than Dr Bash. Especially if they do not know the symptoms of MS or that MS can be service connected on those symptoms."

Dr Bash is the expert on MS. He has MS.

"The single question they requested the QTC examiner to answer last May for the MS claim was,"does the Vet have a neurological disorder"?

The examiner said he discovered I did. That's as far as the Rater cared to take it. Than they denied again on the bases it wasn't diagnosed in service and blew off Dr Bash's opinion as to symptoms. (NO DIAGNOSES DURING SERVICE)"

Absurd.

Was the VA examiner really a Neurologist?

I would not drop any claims for secondarys either.