VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Answers On What Works Pain Med Wise

Rate this topic

Hey I am on 2 different pain meds 3x a day loritab 10 and 30mg Morphine sulphate. is there anyone out there that was on loritabs and had their meds switched to Percocet and it worked for them? I am at my witts end dealing with VA I went through all the crud they make us vets do when they opened me up and saw my whole back was eat up with arthritis I was and am under a civ Nuero Surgeon but I am thinking the VA is going to drag tail and keep me trapped here in South For the winter. The cold is what I am worried about as the temp drops 20 degrees at night is starting to work on these bones. I had a 3 level lumbar fusion in may 2010 any thoughts on what would help with incresing pain. I take so much meds I am giving birth some days constipation is hell, About the best thing with taking meds is my winter sallad patch Lol. i just hate putting more meds in my body but old man winter kicks my tail every year. Any thoughts please help. I had thought that I would be gone by now but no not with the VA. Thanks for any advice I have did everything I can do right now but with back spasams keeping me up nights it really sucks to be me. Adios..

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Percoset is oxycodone with tylenol. It is for the break through pain and the morphine is supposed to be long lasting pain control. Maybe you could get them to give you methadone instead of the morphine. I could not stand the morphine due to your problem and it tore up my guts. How many percoset do you get? I think percoset is stronger than what you get with loritab. I take fentanyl via the patch. It does nothing as far as I can tell. Is the VA giving you pressure to get off the narcotics for long term pain control? They have nothing to replace it with really.

I am also on Lora Tab 10mg, but they also gave me Tramadol HCL 50mg tablets and also 10 mg Flexoril for spasms. I will take one lora tab and one tramadol and it works pretty good. If i have severe spasms or pain I also take a flexoril.

Percoset is oxycodone with tylenol. It is for the break through pain and the morphine is supposed to be long lasting pain control. Maybe you could get them to give you methadone instead of the morphine. I could not stand the morphine due to your problem and it tore up my guts. How many percoset do you get? I think percoset is stronger than what you get with loritab. I take fentanyl via the patch. It does nothing as far as I can tell. Is the VA giving you pressure to get off the narcotics for long term pain control? They have nothing to replace it with really.

Hey John Thanks for the reply. I am SC for my back and i had surgery done outside VA. I thank the stars that the VA is not handling my pain as they suck. Period I am so done with the VA pain wise but some people can get anything they want, Me I am retired law Enforcment no use of drugs I did good to get morphine for a long time. the sallad patch works for me natural and you eat you some turnip greens you will move your bowels or explode LOL. what I am wondering My civillian Surgeon is great but pretty soon or at least until May 2011 It would have been a year and i am not sure what happens then. everyone I know gets to the VA and "They" could give a ripp about your pain. But back on track the patches I was on them during my first 2 operations. I had a hard time with the darn things staying on. i am sure if i ever go back to the VA they will try something. I tell everyone I know to look at me I am living proof of what Goverment run medicine will do for you. Happy thanksgiving I am happy to do the cooking tommorow. I love making the food just not the driving to see others. even a simple car ride is a challenge. have a good day..

I also know what your going thru oldman, nothings worst than deficating adobe bricks! My friend told me about a stool softener named BISACODYL that works really well. I tried it and was very pleased with it. It may work well with you or it may not! Everybody is differant when it comes to meds.I spent probably hundreds to find one that worked for me, but like everyone else, it's just finding the right one. I was at a Cigna Health Pharmacy the other day to buy some vitamins and lolbehold there it was on the shelves for only $2.21 for a bottle of 100, which is 10x lower than UncleWally's. I take 3 of them little pink wonders every night.

Now I have a question for you folk's. I been on a generic brand of oxycontin and some kickers of oxycodone. They have woked pretty well, but the oxycontin is tearing me up and makes me very nausiated and sweaty. Does morphine do the same thing to some of you folks? I'm thinking about asking my php to switch me to them. Anybody care to chime in?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Bisacodyl really does help loosen things up.

You might also consider having an NSAID or possibly a muscle relaxer added. The concept of the NSAID would be to reduce inflamation, thus reducing pain, but it could irritate your upper digestive system. Flexeril is a really good muscle relaxer, but I feel like I am on Mars and cannot function. Baclofen is a different muscle relaxer and really has proven it's value to me because I can still function.

I had morphine after surgery and it caused severe nausea. I learned to ask for an anti-nausea med.