VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Answers On What Works Pain Med Wise

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I found the long acting morphine to be intolerable. I know the VA does not prescribe oxycontin in my VAMC. I think it is to do with cost. They have two drugs for long term pain: morphine and methadone. What I do know is that if you have chronic pain you will have to increase the dose of narcotics over time. The VA is reluctant to do this. They worry about OD's of long term pain patients. I think it is just CYA and not genuine concern for patients. Last time I went to the VA they told me that narcotics for chronic pain is the worst possible treatment. What do they have to replace it? They want me to take anti-depressants and the anti-seizure drugs like neurontin and topomax. I take these drugs and I can't get out of my bathrobe for three days. I know guys who have severe pain need something besides dope and anti-depressants. If you can't sleep at night or sit still due to pain most people will take anything to get relief. Private pain clinics I have seen want to do procedures. In Florida where we have continuous scandal over unregulated pain clinics all pain management doctors I have seen are scared to death of DEA. 4000 years and there seems to be no real alternative to severe chronic pain but narcotics. I just don't get it. Medical science can keep people alive whose entire organ system is failing, yet pain treatment for chronic pain is just hit or miss. Oh, yeah, the VA said I need to take vitamin D. Yes, and I need to lose weight and floss twice a day.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bisacodyl really does help loosen things up.

You might also consider having an NSAID or possibly a muscle relaxer added. The concept of the NSAID would be to reduce inflamation, thus reducing pain, but it could irritate your upper digestive system. Flexeril is a really good muscle relaxer, but I feel like I am on Mars and cannot function. Baclofen is a different muscle relaxer and really has proven it's value to me because I can still function.

I had morphine after surgery and it caused severe nausea. I learned to ask for an anti-nausea med.

What does NSAID Vync?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

What does NSAID Vync?

NSAID = Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs

Examples include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen (two of the VA's favorites - they are cheap) and stronger ones which require a prescription, like Celebrex. I used to take Vioxx (from private doctor), which was really great, but it was yanked from the market. Each has different benefits, disadvantages, and may or may interact with other medicines.

I'm no expert, so I recommend you check with your doctor to see which ones might be a good fit with your current meds and physical conditions.

I found the long acting morphine to be intolerable. I know the VA does not prescribe oxycontin in my VAMC. I think it is to do with cost. They have two drugs for long term pain: morphine and methadone. What I do know is that if you have chronic pain you will have to increase the dose of narcotics over time. The VA is reluctant to do this. They worry about OD's of long term pain patients. I think it is just CYA and not genuine concern for patients. Last time I went to the VA they told me that narcotics for chronic pain is the worst possible treatment. What do they have to replace it? They want me to take anti-depressants and the anti-seizure drugs like neurontin and topomax. I take these drugs and I can't get out of my bathrobe for three days. I know guys who have severe pain need something besides dope and anti-depressants. If you can't sleep at night or sit still due to pain most people will take anything to get relief. Private pain clinics I have seen want to do procedures. In Florida where we have continuous scandal over unregulated pain clinics all pain management doctors I have seen are scared to death of DEA. 4000 years and there seems to be no real alternative to severe chronic pain but narcotics. I just don't get it. Medical science can keep people alive whose entire organ system is failing, yet pain treatment for chronic pain is just hit or miss. Oh, yeah, the VA said I need to take vitamin D. Yes, and I need to lose weight and floss twice a day.

Damn I glad I don't live in Florida! Your right about the VA, it cost to much to give us oxycontin. It's basicly the same here in Arizona VA. I get mine perscribed from my privae doc. But like I said it's killing my digestive system, although it works really well for the pain. I may have to live with it if morphine does the same thing. My symptons only last maybe 15 or 20 mins. but boy it sure is hell. By the way, VA wanted me to go to thier classes for health care on vitamins. Yea right! where do I sign! Thanks John!

NSAID = Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs

Examples include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen (two of the VA's favorites - they are cheap) and stronger ones which require a prescription, like Celebrex. I used to take Vioxx (from private doctor), which was really great, but it was yanked from the market. Each has different benefits, disadvantages, and may or may interact with other medicines.

I'm no expert, so I recommend you check with your doctor to see which ones might be a good fit with your current meds and physical conditions.

I take xanax at night to help sleep but my PP frowns cause of the oxycodone I'm taking. I have a bottle of Soma I might take instead. It's one of those damn if you do, damn if you don't! Well, I have to take a break and check the fire in the pit. I have 3 turkeys, a roast, and a pot of beans to put in. Nothing like pitted food for the Holidays!! I'll check back in a few.