VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Criteria?

Rate this question

Trucker

Question

Looking for criteria on ptsd, I've been through the foum and havn't found this answer, can an event (mulitple attempted suisides) by a family member during my time in service be used in my claim for ptsd. I have military evedence also. This led to a hardship discharge and one inpatient stay while in service. If this can be used I can produce 15 year medical history. And I have dealt with the anxiety through hard manual labor, which makes me feel better than the medicine I'm on, is this a positive or a negitive?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were NOT in fear of your life, or safety, due to possible enemy or terrorist activity..................then you don't have service-connectable PTSD. And, bear in mind, the ultimate diagnosis of PTSD MUST be made by a VA-employed (or contracted) psychiatrist or board-certified psychologist. And, also bear in mind that if you were NOT in the right place at the right time (as verified by your MSR's) then you will not be diagnosed with service-connected PTSD.

I am fortunate enough to have been able to help 5 veterans in the last 4 weeks receive PTSD claim awards, all of which were previously denied.

Kudos to you Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"all of which were previously denied."

Did they all fall under the news regs?

If you were NOT in fear of your life, or safety, due to possible enemy or terrorist activity..................then you don't have service-connectable PTSD. And, bear in mind, the ultimate diagnosis of PTSD MUST be made by a VA-employed (or contracted) psychiatrist or board-certified psychologist. And, also bear in mind that if you were NOT in the right place at the right time (as verified by your MSR's) then you will not be diagnosed with service-connected PTSD.

I am fortunate enough to have been able to help 5 veterans in the last 4 weeks receive PTSD claim awards, all of which were previously denied.

LarryJ,

With all due respect, it's not that simple. There's no requirement that it be "due to possible enemy or terrorist activity." If you can point me to such a requirement, I'll be interested to read it. Oh, BTW, among other things I'm service-connected for noncombat PTSD. I am always careful to draw the "noncombat" distinction when dealing with VA, so people don't make unwarranted assumptions.

DSM IV 309.81: "the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others." For what it's worth, I can imagine multiple scenarios in which a relative's suicide attempt COULD meet the DSM IV criterion. Let's avoid detailed hypotheticals in the thread because I'd hate to trigger any bad memories for anyone. By all means, PM me if you like.

This next part is just a general opinion directed at no one in particular. I'm a little disappointed that some people have seen fit to judge the original poster without knowing all the facts. One traditional complaint in here is that VA claims personnel make decisions without evaluating everything we send them: Judgment without knowing all the facts. It would be nice if we presumed good faith on the part those who ask questions here. It's the same sort of openmindedness we'd want VA claims personnel to have when looking at our submissions. It's also just simple courtesy.

Give me a few minutes to take cover, folks, then fire away ...

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

LarryJ,

With all due respect, it's not that simple. There's no requirement that it be "due to possible enemy or terrorist activity." If you can point me to such a requirement, I'll be interested to read it. Oh, BTW, among other things I'm service-connected for noncombat PTSD. I am always careful to draw the "noncombat" distinction when dealing with VA, so people don't make unwarranted assumptions.

DSM IV 309.81: "the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others." For what it's worth, I can imagine multiple scenarios in which a relative's suicide attempt COULD meet the DSM IV criterion. Let's avoid detailed hypotheticals in the thread because I'd hate to trigger any bad memories for anyone. By all means, PM me if you like.

This next part is just a general opinion directed at no one in particular. I'm a little disappointed that some people have seen fit to judge the original poster without knowing all the facts. One traditional complaint in here is that VA claims personnel make decisions without evaluating everything we send them: Judgment without knowing all the facts. It would be nice if we presumed good faith on the part those who ask questions here. It's the same sort of openmindedness we'd want VA claims personnel to have when looking at our submissions. It's also just simple courtesy.

Give me a few minutes to take cover, folks, then fire away ...

Bill

Bill, I am sure that you know much more about this than I do so I humbly yield the floor to you. I have not the time to debate this for it seems that I have other's on my mind at this time.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kudos to you Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"all of which were previously denied."

Did they all fall under the news regs?

Yes. What I did was, I filed NEW claims from the previously denied claims. The NEW claims were filed using the NEW criteria and I used the NEW 21-526EZ format and also requested the ORIGINAL (previously denied) filing date as the EED (earliest effective date).

It worked. All the claims, were, BTW, in-house VA diagnosed PTSD, using no "outside" medical IMO's.

Amazingly fast decisions.

• HadIt.com Elder

If the poster himself were DX'ed or hospitalized for depression while in service then I think he has a claim. I just don't see that having a metally ill relative alone is grounds for a service connected disability. Did the poster witness the suicide attempts? Was there blood or horrible scene of self-inflicted violence that the poster witnessed?

I pulled guard duty with a guy in Vietnam who hanged himself. Does that mean I have a claim for PTSD?