VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Criteria?

Rate this question

Trucker

Question

Looking for criteria on ptsd, I've been through the foum and havn't found this answer, can an event (mulitple attempted suisides) by a family member during my time in service be used in my claim for ptsd. I have military evedence also. This led to a hardship discharge and one inpatient stay while in service. If this can be used I can produce 15 year medical history. And I have dealt with the anxiety through hard manual labor, which makes me feel better than the medicine I'm on, is this a positive or a negitive?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

very good post John and I totally agree. I had an suicide my first week in company and really snuffed my butt for a while. Did it give me PTSD not sure but I have and still do get upset when I think of it.

What a way to start your tour of duty!

As far as relatives go I have a few that I feel are totally nuts and they probably think the same of me!

Is this what you're looking for?

VA's CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) as of November 2010:

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

100%

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name

70%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships

50%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

30%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)

10%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication

0%

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication 0

If you were NOT in fear of your life, or safety, due to possible enemy or terrorist activity..................then you don't have service-connectable PTSD. And, bear in mind, the ultimate diagnosis of PTSD MUST be made by a VA-employed (or contracted) psychiatrist or board-certified psychologist.

There are several other stressor's that can provide SC for PTSD besides possible

enemy or terrorist activity.

If a claim for PTSD was submitted under the older PTSD regs, then a mental health professional

other than VA can still provide an medical opinion to support a grant for PTSD.

I do not feel the original poster's information would support a grant for SC of PTSD.

No one has mentioned what I'm posting right here, but I feel it's important to certain claim's.

Getting a Hardship Discharge would not necessarily prevent a grant of benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

"There are several other stressor's that can provide SC for PTSD besides possible

enemy or terrorist activity."

You are quite right, carlie. I seem hung up on the fact that "possible enemy or terrorist activity" given today's emphasis upon "terrorist activity" will MOST assuredly get you a PTSD rating from one of the required VA sources. I guess I should preface my "hang-ups" with, welllll, with my "hang-ups"!:rolleyes: