VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What A Trip! Ao

Rate this question

ironfaux

Question

Im a vietnam combat vet from 72 with ptsd that is now 100% p and t

back in oct 06 when i was only 50% i had to get a chest e-xray at bay pines

I hadnt been able to sleep laying down and my feet were swollen ,and i couldnt walk any distance for about a month without having to stop and rest.

anyway after i had the x-ray the attendant said i should stop at the emergency room to have them look at this so i went with the help of a nurse, by this time i was kinda in bad shape.

they did vitals then an ekg and within an hr i was on the 4th floor in the heart center for a week.(sorry to be so long winded)

i was diagnosed with congestive heart failure with an injection fraction of 21 % and artarial fibulation .

my vet counslor advised me to file ,so on oct 19th i did.mo march 12/ 07 i got a letter denying my claim

in oct of this yr i got some paperwork with my name typed on it about agent orange and nemher and if i signed it i would be put on the front of the list for evaluations

once again i called my vet counslor and he told me to not rock the boat and ignore it

i just went to a c and p on nov 15th and on fri .dec 3rd i called the 1-800 number and they said it was at the rater and i should hear in about 2 to 3 weeks about all this. oh and btw i have 100% n/s connected for copd so they say

My question is (finally) what can i expect and i heard about an s code and an n code and a m code can this now help me also

appreciative as always

ironfaux an old grunt and door gunner from the 1/7th cav

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

“I'm sorry but I dont know what DX means???

and when i was at bay pines 2 weeks ago i spoke to a vet counselor and he told me my c.o.p.d. would help it along.

let me know please. “

COPD can have a proven inservice cause:

"In a November 1997 written statement, the Veteran advanced that

he had been exposed to methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), asbestos, and

dust during active service. He reported that he had smoked about

two packs of cigarettes per day during that period."

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files4/1031986.txt

VA is very quick to use a history of smoking as cause of COPD and deny the claim.

The above vet however had significant information to support his claim and service connection was granted.

Other vets have proven exposure to asbestos and other causes in service for their COPD.

It is not easy as VA not only will use a smoking history against them ( the main cause of COPD in the medical community)

as well as any post service occupation that could have caused the COPD and would rule out any service connected cause.

I see you are 100% now- are you requesting SMC?

thx for all the info and no,i'm not filing for smc because I thought you needed to be at 100% on one and 60% min on another to get it.

btw does non service connected count or is it just sc ?