VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused About My Pension

Rate this question

jordan2

Question

I am totally confused about my pension. Four years after applying, and getting the assistance of a pro bono attorney, I received a lump sum payment and now receive the maximum of $985 per month for a single person, no dependents.

I also began to receive regular Social Security payments when I became 62 years of age in 2008. I am still confused about exactly what kind of pension I receive but I think its improved disability and is based on income. I have no service connected disability but I do receive medical benefits. I do not receive full dental benefits although I have a hearing coming up for that.

After I began to receive pension benefits and also after I began to receive Social Security, I wrote the regional office a letter to make sure I was eligible to receive both because I read somewhere I might not be able to receive both. No answer so I went to the Regional Office in person and completed some paperwork asking for an explanation, clearly stating that I was receiving social security. No one has ever replied so I hoping that I am eligible to receive both. I would be in a real mess if I had to give them the money back as it takes every penny for me survive.

I also recently called on the phone to reconfirm and was also told that the pension benefits were not taxable.

Am I OK in receiving both checks? I just want some peace of mind.

Thanks for any clarification you might can offer.

I forgot to mention that I was diagnosed with PTSD but as best I can tell, my pension is not related to it except that I receive medical benefits.

I was honorably discharged in December of 1971 after 4 years active duty in the USAF.

Edited by jordan2

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You cannot receive more than $985 a month and still get VA pension. If you get more SS than $985 VA will stop pension. The combination of the two cannot be more than $985, to receive VA pension. If you receive $300 from SS VA will reduce your pension payment to $685, so the two equal $985. If you have PTSD, you should apply for SC, as you can receive VA comp and SS. Also, if you took a reduced SS, at age 62, retirement age, you should apply for SSDI, as it pays the full rate. jmo

pr

You cannot receive more than $985 a month and still get VA pension. If you get more SS than $985 VA will stop pension. The combination of the two cannot be more than $985, to receive VA pension. If you receive $300 from SS VA will reduce your pension payment to $685, so the two equal $985. If you have PTSD, you should apply for SC, as you can receive VA comp and SS. Also, if you took a reduced SS, at age 62, retirement age, you should apply for SSDI, as it pays the full rate. jmo

pr

Thank you for your reply. Now I am concerned. What should I do since I have already written them about receiving SS? I have been spending the money because I thought I was entitled to it after all of my contact with the Regional office with no response.

What is the SC you said I should apply for and how do I apply for that? Also, how do I apply for SSDI? Your reply has prompted these questions.

Thanks again. It sounds like I have opened Pandora's box.