VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why

Rate this question

jhilly

Question

if someone has been dianosed with PTSD by a VA mental health doctor. That doctor then schedules that person for a sleep study to determine is he or she has sleep apnea secondary to PTSD..how does that affect the persons' rating for PTSD??

James

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It shouldn't affect it at all. Should you be found to have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) then you would need to apply for SC, for OSA, as secondary to PTSD. If awarded it would increase your combined ratings and the monthly amount you receive.

pr

if someone has been dianosed with PTSD by a VA mental health doctor. That doctor then schedules that person for a sleep study to determine is he or she has sleep apnea secondary to PTSD..how does that affect the persons' rating for PTSD??

James

James

Many vets with PTSD develope sleep apnea, primarily due to weight gain from isolation/sedentary life style and/or meds. However, undiagnosed sleep apnea can worsen the sleep component of PTSD by affecting the quality of sleep by an individual who is already sleep deprived. This is one of the reasons that psychiatrists will order a sleep study.

JMO,

Bergie

I am so glad I read this thread, I had never really given this any thought. I was diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea recently and sleep with a CPAP every night. I used to awake several times each night gasping for air like I had been holding my breath, most everytime this happened I would relate it or think about my Vietnam experience's. I had already applied for PTSD in July of this year but have not heard anything since I had my exam with the shrink. However since starting to use the CPAP machine on a a regular basis I am sleeping through most every night without waking up. So I don't know if the PTSD was due to the Sleep Apnea or the other way around. I still have other issues with my PTSD but it sure helps to be able to sleep through the night for a change and being fully rested does seem to help with my other symptoms as well. Depending on the outcome of my claim I may claim the Apnea due to PTSD. What are your thoughts on this?

Durock

This was the issue that I was having, my doctor prescribed Clonazepam (Klonopin) for panic attacks. I just had my settings increased to 13 on my CPAP. Since SA was not "invented" until years after my service time would this help me connect my PTSD with my SA?

PAPA

I wonder how many panic attacks are induced by gasping for air caused by sleep apnea.