VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help! Got Ssdi And Iu But What About $$$$$

Rate this question

cachanilla73

Question

Hello everyone! hope your thanksgiving was great and hope your holidays will be better. I have been away for a long time, but I got great news, my husband got approved his SSDI and after that he got his IU awarded too, THANK YOU ALL for your help. But We have a concern, hope you all can help. When He applied for SSDI his VA compensation was 30% , than was increased to 70%, immediately He applied for IU, then he got his medical exams for the SSDI and after 5 months he got his SSDI approved, no retro for this, they said something about a new rule, blah, blah, blah. On the SSDI letter says you have to report any changes in your income or if you receive any payments. We know VA compensation is tax free and is not consider "income", but if he receives any VA retro pay will SSDI start asking questions or will try to reduce his SSDI monthly payment because now his VA payment will be much higher?

Also we were told our kids and me "should" receive some payments, he called SS and they said it takes about 6 weeks for us to receive any payment after he got his FIRST payment, they have our info in the system. But so far the kids nor me haven't received any letter about it.

And the last question, he was told that we can't have more than one bank account, because SS will be asking questions or threatening to stop the monthly payments. I think the person who told us maybe receiving SSI. But if any of you receive SSDI can you have savings in the bank?

Thanks again for all your help....

Edited by cachanilla73

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

SSI and SSDI are entirely two different animals.

If your husband is receiving SSDI, then the VA compensation will not affect the SSDI payment nor be affected by it. He is entitled to get both. Many members of HadIt get both.

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance and is NOT resources-based (homes, cars, bank accounts, IRAs, etc...) like SSI is. It is my opinion that you may have as many bank accounts as you wish. It is paid for by Social Security Administration.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is resources-based, and is for those people who have incomes below the poverty level and are disabled. They watch any changes in resources carefully. It is paid for by Federal Taxes.

You and your children will indeed get your money, as a delay in awarding dependents seems to be the normal course of business.

Congratulations, and I hope this answers your questions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't confuse SSDI and SSI.

SSDI and VA comp do not offset.

SSI is based on income.

You pay into SSA to get SSA retirement, SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance.

SSI is a Social Based monthly amount for people who do not qualify for SSDI.

J

Thank You!!! :biggrin:.... That's why I come here to get advice. And yes he is getting SSDI, he got more credits than he needed. He started working at age 16 until he got ill.

Hello and Congrats on the awards! I just went through this SSDI process, and I'll lay it out for you the best I can. I'm also currently waiting for a TDIU decision.

With SSDI, after I got approved, the retro pay was in the bank within a week. However, since they pay for the previous month in the month ahead, (Example, July's payment will be recieved in August) and the Wednesday you recieve your payment on is determined by a digit in the Social Security Number, it could take 6 weeks to recieve the first payment if there is no retro pay.

As with the money for the spouse and child of the beneficiary, these are called Auxilliary Benefits. I didn't know about these until about a month or two after I recieved my award, as nobody ever told me about them. Finally a Social Security person called and told me I had an interview for benefits, which really confused me. If you haven't applied for the Auxilliary benefits, give them a call and try to see if you can set up either an in person or phone interview. They will need to speak with the spouse and whoever is taking responsibility for the child. They'll need Marriage Certificates, and all the other good stuff. (They should fill you in when you call) The Auxilliary benefits interview is fairly straight forward, and quick. After my wife spoke with them, they told her the amount we'd be recieving, both the backpay and monthly benefits. They split it between her and the kid, which was about a total of 50% of my award.

BIG NOTE: When you recieve Auxilliary Benefits for your child, since they are a minor (I'm guessing your kid(s) are) they are to be used ONLY to improve the living conditions of the child or childeren. This means keeping track of what you spend on what of their money. (Food, Clothes, Etc.) I guess you're supposed to save the receipts also from what I've heard. This is my first year receiving this also, so I'm not sure how much fun it's gonna be at the end of the year when they want me to explain where the money went. We set up an account for our child, so his money will start going straight into it via Direct Deposit, which should make keeping track of it easier, and all of the money for him that we've recieved is in a savings account.

I hope this helps, and hopefully saves you some time. I really wish I had known about Auxilliary benefits right after I had gotten my award, because it would have helped a lot, so if you haven't applied for it yet, make sure you let them know as soon as you can that you would like to apply.

Once again, Congrats on your awards, and spend wisely! If you have any other questions about it post them. I'll keep my eyes open. Have a great holiday season!

Hello everyone! hope your thanksgiving was great and hope your holidays will be better. I have been away for a long time, but I got great news, my husband got approved his SSDI and after that he got his IU awarded too, THANK YOU ALL for your help. But We have a concern, hope you all can help. When He applied for SSDI his VA compensation was 30% , than was increased to 70%, immediately He applied for IU, then he got his medical exams for the SSDI and after 5 months he got his SSDI approved, no retro for this, they said something about a new rule, blah, blah, blah. On the SSDI letter says you have to report any changes in your income or if you receive any payments. We know VA compensation is tax free and is not consider "income", but if he receives any VA retro pay will SSDI start asking questions or will try to reduce his SSDI monthly payment because now his VA payment will be much higher?

Also we were told our kids and me "should" receive some payments, he called SS and they said it takes about 6 weeks for us to receive any payment after he got his FIRST payment, they have our info in the system. But so far the kids nor me haven't received any letter about it.

And the last question, he was told that we can't have more than one bank account, because SS will be asking questions or threatening to stop the monthly payments. I think the person who told us maybe receiving SSI. But if any of you receive SSDI can you have savings in the bank?

Thanks again for all your help....

• HadIt.com Elder

Because I was a federal employee I think I have been on every type of disability program. I know if you get workers compensation it usually has an effect on SSD and VA. A federal retirement will have effect on SSD. If you have group disability policy they are usually reduced if you get SSD or disability retirement/workers compensataion. However, VA and SSD don't affect each other at all. What is good is that if you get SSD you can get medicare. If you have any type of medical insurance medicare usually becomes primary and your private insurance ends up paying the 20% medicare does not pay.