VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"old Timer"; New To This

Rate this question

LenB

Question

Hi all,

I'm a Vietnam Vet who recently filed a PTSD claim and am having a hard time getting guidance. I originally filed my own disability application online at the beginning of October 2010. About a month and a half later I received a large envelope in the mail from my local DVA Regional Office asking me to fill out a bunch of paperwork, and also to notify me of an appointment to be examined by an outside psychiatrist. Mind you, I found out by casually requesting records from my VA medical center that I had been diagnosed over a year and a half ago with PTSD by a VA psychiatrist.

I sat down with a VSO in my area trying to get some guidance about a week and a half prior to sending all of my forms and documents in. He really sucked in that he spent 35 out of the 40 minutes telling me his own war stories of when he was in the Navy - I had to struggle to get just a word or question in edgewise. I was able to show him one form that I had started to fill out and he said "It looks like you are all set." Then he pushed my forms aside in order to tell me more of his war stories. It was really disappointing and he was of no help at all.

They scheduled my outside exam to be within 2 weeks of my receiving the large envelope from them (earlier this month of December), and also they only gave me 30 days from the date of their letter in which to submit all of my own documents and testimony from others. Mind you, I was discharged from the service in 1975 without any diagnosed injuries or disabilities at that time. Well, actually, PTSD hadn't even been defined or recognized at that time, but knowing what I know now I did indeed have it when I was discharged.

First off - if I do get a percentage rating for compensation from the VA, will they pay for prior years that I suffered with it? For example, I do have documentation showing that I was getting outside psychiatric treatment for the symptoms of my PTSD starting in 1993 up until the present time. I was getting treatment much earlier than that, but that was so many years ago that I don't have proof of it. I also lost some significant jobs from it over the years.

I was trying to find out how to get a copy of that recent outside psychiatrist's report but I have had no luck. I called and asked that useless VSO and he said that I am not entitled to see it until after the VA determines my rating, if any. That doesn't make sense to me. I have tried to call my local regional DVA office (they are the ones requesting all of this proof) but they only have telephone prompts with general informational messages. I can't get a real human on the phone. I asked the records office personnel at my local VA medical center and they said that the outside report goes directly to the regional office so they have nothing to give me. Has anyone else had luck with seeing outside diagnoses before a rating determination is made?

I know that the VA has recently redefined who they consider to be a "combat veteran." I was in the Air Force, based in Okinawa, and never spent time on the ground in Vietnam, but I did fly lengthy missions in the combat zone of Vietnam several times a month. We flew for three hours each way to and from the combat zone and then flew for 12 hours continuously while in the combat zone. Halfway through each mission we had a mid-air refueling. The flights were 18 hours in total. I was paid both combat duty pay and hazardous duty pay every month during the two years of flying those missions out of Okinawa. I received badges and air medals, one of which was a badge for my first 10 "combat missions" flown (that's how the SPECIAL ORDER refers to it, and I still have a copy of it.) In the letter I received recently from the DVA they listed certain medals that would be proof of my being a real "combat veteran," but I don't recognize any of the ones they list so I don't think I ever received one of those medals in particular. Does it sound like I would still be deemed a "combat veteran," based on what I say here, as far as the possibility of a disability rating and payment is concerend?

Well that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Len

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, I'm very familiar with the Statement in Support of Claim, form # 21-4138. I filled one out myself, and then had two more filled out by other people.

The VA Psychiatrist had already diagnosed me with PTSD over a year ago.In addition, they've recently sent me to an outside company for an independent psychiatric evaluation. The name of the outside company was QTC. What I wanted to know was how I can get a copy of the report completed by QTC that was sent to the DVA regional office. Bergie was saying that I can get a copy of that "exam" by filling out a VA 21-41378, which I can't seem to locate. Was that a typo? Is there a way to get a copy of that outside report, or is it kept a secret from us? I asked QTC while I was there and they said that they cannot send it to me; only to the VA.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out here.

Len

IT's a FORM # 21-4138! Bergie made a boo-boo! But, I wouldn't use that particular form to get my own health records, up to and including your most recent.

Send your VA Regional Office a http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-5345a-fill.pdf or, better yet, take this form TO your local VA Regional Office and request, specifically, your QTC exam results (and, get a copy of ALL your medical records while you're at it).

BTW, most of us here at hadit are very familiar with QTC. The VA uses them a LOT!

Thank you, Bergie.

What does c&p stand for? Also, I did a search online for form VA 21-41378 and nothing that looks like or even sounds close to any VA form with that designation comes up. Would you happen to have a link to where it can be downloaded?

Len

Len,

Go to our homepage where you will find a link for definitions, abbreviations, accronyms

and tons of other important information.

http://www.hadit.com/