VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic Award

VetsDaughter

Question

Hello all!

Great news! After almost a year of waiting, this past saturday, my mom recieved her Award letter!

We are very thankful for all the help we recieved (Berta!) :biggrin: Great Christmas present!

Anyway. I just have one question.

I know the Award Letter stated it could be up to 15 days for a check.We know is going to be recieving some back pay for her survivors benefits. But...

I did hear a rumor, that there was a Service Connected Death Benefit. I wasn't told how much exactly, but a few people stated it was A LOT of money.

Was wondering if this is true or not? and if any of you have recieved this, if you don't mind my asking? How much?

I couldnt find an amount online or anything like that. Maybe it is a disclosed amount?

Thanks again, everyone!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS YOU!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If he died on Active Duty (AD), within recent yrs, the current death gratuity is as follows:

Death Gratuity

. A lump sum gratuitous payment made by the Air Force to eligible beneficiaries of a member who dies on AD, ADT, or IDT, or full-time National Guard duty. Its purpose is to help the survivors in their readjustment and to aid them in meeting immediate expenses incurred. The death gratuity payment is $12,420, and is non-taxable. For those whose death is as a result of hostile actions and occurred in a designated combat operation or combat zone or while training for combat or performing hazardous duty, the payment is $100,000. The death gratuity payment is made to survivors of the deceased in this order:

The member's lawful surviving spouse. Payment delivered by the CAR assigned to the reporting or assistance base, within 24 hours of the member's death, unless the surviving spouse desires other arrangements.

If there is no spouse, to the child or children of the member, regardless of age or marital status, in equal shares (state laws guide payment to minor children). Payment for minor children is made by DFAS-DE/FJPC within 30 days after they have received the required claim form and supporting documentation.

If none of the above, to the parents, or brothers and/or sisters, or any combination as designated by the deceased member. Payment delivered by the CAR assigned to the reporting or assistance base, within 24 hours of the member's death, unless the NOK desires other arrangements.

The death gratuity is not paid to any other person when there are no survivors as listed above. A will is not a legal designation for death gratuity since such payment is not an allowance or a debt due the member and cannot be part of the member's estate.

The claim form required to apply for this benefit is DD Form 397, Claim Certification and Voucher for Death Gratuity Payment.

If not the above, there is a burial allowance of, I believe, $2,000, that she can apply for at any time.

pr

If se isnt eligible for the benefit Philip posted about, she will receive DIC (1154 p/m fr enlisted deceased vets),

the funeral expense -and I think they sent me about 2 thousand there,

an award for CHAPTER 35 and also she would most likely be eligible for CHAMPVA.

My CHAMPVA letter came separately from the DIC award letter.

If the veteran died with any children under 18 or ver 18 but still in school and she lost the SSA Mother's benefit when they turned 16-she mght be eligible (or any children in their own right) for REPS benefit.

For some reason a 800 # person said there was notation on their computer NOT to send e a REPS application when I was awarded direct SC death earlier this year.

I had already dealt directly with REPS and they had my original application for over a decade ago.

This benefit came to me as a five figure award within mere weeks of faxing the what they asked me for so I am glad I knew about it as the VA didnt even want to send me the form or advise me of it.

Info on this benefit is available here under Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors.

My former vet reps never heard of it and thanks to NVLSP (the VBM) I applied 16 years ago for it as part of my DIC application.

In my locale 4 vets and I pushed the local Gov for a property tax exemption for vets. Wartime and disabled vets now get that exemption.

I never even thought if this would impact on widows/widowers of vets when we went to meetings on it.Never gave that a thought because this is a rural area and I only know of one other widow of SC dead veteran.

But they put through a very large property tax exemption for widows/widowers of veterans too.

This is something to look into with the award letter.

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats and I am very happy for your Mom. Many of us are glad that the VA helps our spouses and ChampVA for life is a fantastic benefit.

I know PR and Berta state 2000 for burial but I remember 2400 and I believe they also provide a headstone. She should contact the funeral home they should be able to do the paperwork for her.

Pete

My mom recieved the burial benefit. We knew that would be covered even before his passing. It was stated in the award letter the benefit amount and what was paid. She also recieved 1154 in surviors benefits. Her back pay check came today.

She was already recieving CHAMPVA prior to his death along with Chapter 35 and I recieve that as well. So that is still going...

So if I am reading correctly, There is NO settlement check for Service Connected Death, for veterans survivng spouses? He did not die in active combat or anything like that though.

I am confused only, because we were told there would be one and it was a "large amount of money". But i cannot seem to find anything on it and it said nothing of that sort in the award letter.

Thank you everyone!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

When was his service and when did he die??? It sounds like she's getting all there is, depending on when he died, his service and and the circumstances of his death. He may have had life insurance but that would depend on him purchasing it.

Need more info to provide accurate answers.

pr

My mom recieved the burial benefit. We knew that would be covered even before his passing. It was stated in the award letter the benefit amount and what was paid. She also recieved 1154 in surviors benefits. Her back pay check came today.

She was already recieving CHAMPVA prior to his death along with Chapter 35 and I recieve that as well. So that is still going...

So if I am reading correctly, There is NO settlement check for Service Connected Death, for veterans survivng spouses? He did not die in active combat or anything like that though.

I am confused only, because we were told there would be one and it was a "large amount of money". But i cannot seem to find anything on it and it said nothing of that sort in the award letter.

Thank you everyone!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!