VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor Question

Rate this question

kcvab

Question

I broke my lower leg (fibula) during desert shield so I never saw combat. I stayed in the MASH for approx 4 days before I was medevac to Germany for operation on my leg. Those were the most painful, anxious 4 days of my life. I received demerol, but that would wear off after an hour, and there is only so many doses you can receive per day. Could this 4 day stay be used as a stressor? It is easily verified thru medical records. Thanks in advance!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The stressor criteria under the new PTSD rules is found here:

http://www.va.gov/PTSD_QA.pdf

I sure dont feel VA would consider that as a stressor,but be sure to claim any documented residuals -if you have any- of this disability as well as claim the surgical scar.

• HadIt.com Elder

You say you were anxious. Does that mean you feared a hostile action while you were helpless? Did you see other soldiers being brought in badly wounded? These are the kinds of things that might serve as a stressor. Just having a painful broken leg and being on dope probably won't do it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree but it would depend on the circumstances of the fractured leg. If you were just walking and tripped then probably not but if you were involved in a parachute accident, auto accident, fighting someone off during a personal assault, etc., then it could be. jmo

pr

Yes, I saw many injured soliders albeit wounded by accidents. My injury was a low priority, which is why it took a while for me to get medivac. No, I havent been DXd by VA shrink. My question was just a feeler. I wanted to get some opinions. I appreciate your advice.