VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My First Visit To The Va

Rate this question

GlobalHawk

Question

Hello everyone,

I new here and I wanted to wait for my first meeting with my psychiatrist before I post. I just got back and I have the records with her notes on it. I am no expert with this so I need some help with this. I'm an OEF/OIF veteran who recently got out the Air Force due to general discharge. On the DD214 is says Misconduct; Minor Infractures. I first when to the VA for poor sleep and nightmares. My AFSC is Satellite Communication but I volunteered to go to Iraq as security forces gaurding Third Country Nationals (TCN)s. As a satellite communication technician we provide the drone pilot communication links to the aircaft to run daily mission and both theatres of war. Both experiences were highly stressful and demanding. Im interested in finding out if I would get any compensation for my symptoms. Im also unemployed and experiencing finacial hardships.

Assessment:

Axis I : PTSD, THC/Alcohol abuse

Axis II : no dx

Axis III : knee injury

Axis IV : Limited socoal support, unemployment, interpersonal

Axis V : 45

The regional office had mailed me a letter stating that they had received my claim, what is the next step?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have an "other-than-honorable" discharge. Your FIRST priority is to get that changed.

Then I'd file a 21-526EZ claiming the already VA diagnosed PTSD.

You do not say what the "knee injury" is about, whether it was a service-connected injury or not? If so, I'd get my SMRs (Service Medical Records) indicating the injury and file another 21-526EZ for the knee injury.

I am having some very good luck with filing the Form 21-526EZ (the form for filing a "fully developed claim", i.e., the VA already has all the information necessary to make a decision without having to go "outside" the VA to garner supporting diagnosis/evidence and can just make a decision on your claim by reading the info that they already have, which would be the case with a VA-diagnosed case of PTSD). If you have the med recs on your knee then the same thing, and the same form, would hold true. Request your COMPLETE medical records (and be sure and state that you want your COMPLETE records) from the NPRC Veteran's Record Division, in St. Louis.

Go to the National Gulf War Resource Center website and download their Health care Guide. Chapter 4 is about PTSD

http://www.ngwrc.org/docs/2010%20health%20guide.pdf

Hello everyone,

I new here and I wanted to wait for my first meeting with my psychiatrist before I post. I just got back and I have the records with her notes on it. I am no expert with this so I need some help with this. I'm an OEF/OIF veteran who recently got out the Air Force due to general discharge. On the DD214 is says Misconduct; Minor Infractures. I first when to the VA for poor sleep and nightmares. My AFSC is Satellite Communication but I volunteered to go to Iraq as security forces gaurding Third Country Nationals (TCN)s. As a satellite communication technician we provide the drone pilot communication links to the aircaft to run daily mission and both theatres of war. Both experiences were highly stressful and demanding. Im interested in finding out if I would get any compensation for my symptoms. Im also unemployed and experiencing finacial hardships.

Assessment:

Axis I : PTSD, THC/Alcohol abuse

Axis II : no dx

Axis III : knee injury

Axis IV : Limited socoal support, unemployment, interpersonal

Axis V : 45

The regional office had mailed me a letter stating that they had received my claim, what is the next step?

Globalhawkvet stated:

"This peice of evidence I received from the VA psychiatrist records. Would I need to mail this to my Regional Office? Or would find it them selves? While in the service I had no idea what PTSD was so I have no record of me me having this prior to my VA visit. Im on meds right now for depression and lack of sleep. Would that help me with my claim? What are the usual things the rater or whoever looks for? "

I suggest you read the new PTSD rules in our PTSD forum to shape your claim to comply with them.

As Larry said the PTSD diagnosis from a VA doc is mandatory days (no credence given to any independent shrinks)

and if the VA doesn't concede that you experienced their definition of a stressor in the new regs-then you will need to have the stressor verified by JSRRC.

VA will send the stressor info to them for you so be sure to give the VA a very detailed stressor account.