VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living Services Won't Help Vets With Depression

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

After all the testing with Voc-Rehab and found Not to qualify because of the high # and severity of physical disabilities, I was assessed for ILP. I can get around my home on my own but my biggest disability/challenge is Depression from Pain and being worthless (in my eyes) but VA can't help. Any other services out there?

David

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

After all the testing with Voc-Rehab and found Not to qualify because of the high # and severity of physical disabilities, I was assessed for ILP. I can get around my home on my own but my biggest disability/challenge is Depression from Pain and being worthless (in my eyes) but VA can't help. Any other services out there?

David

My husband had the same issue with ILP> He suffers from severe PTSD but can move around O.K. but also has chronic pain.

My suggestion is to request a new, adjustable bed with massage feature to help reduce you pain, it is amazing what the new bed we got has done to improve my husbands sleep and mood.

Also a Lift chair to assist with pain reduction, and even exercise equipment like a sitting cycle machine or other equipment, as there is a proven link that shows low impact daily eercise can reduce depression and pain, in a lot of case (not everyone but some).

So I don't see the ILP having a problem with this using that rationale.

As for other programs, I'm not sure if you mean other programs to help with your depression?

There are not any programs I am aware of specifically for depression and self esteem. Self Esteem is really only something we can work on ourselves, (with help from others), I suggest looking for support groups in your area, contact the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance to find a support group near you, having others around you that are dealing with the same thing can really help.

Their website is: http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, I got something from the VA for being housebound and having a brace on my leg. They sent me a higher toilet seat. Hot damn! Just what I always wanted.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm in a unique situation, I don't like being around strangers. I cannot hangout with just anyone, I was in Law-enforcement for 17+ yrs. in this area. My wife is the Director of the Sexual assault program for this and the next county over, So making contact with people is sensitive. I am lucky too have a lot of land. My request of the ILP was for help in getting my failing tractor back on its feet. That's what i do most of my time, ride around on my tractor. I make trails on my property, cut some firewood for the winter, takes me a loooong time to do it but I have nothing but time. This has become my life, the only thing that I really enjoy doing and now the tractor is dying a slow death and so am I. I can't take $$ out of the family budget just for my enjoyment so you can see why I was counting on the ILP for help.

David

• HadIt.com Elder

If the ILP won't help I would appeal that decision. They are tight fisted bastards. They try and discourage you first. If you persist I bet you can get it. When you become 100% P&T the VA considers you a write/off. You have to start making a nuisance of yourself to get help.

Thanks John, The VA will be happy too know that I'm not the type to be a nuisance. I don't have the fight in me like I did when I was working, it's easier for me think about having OS with a handgun.

David