VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi C&p

Rate this question

DEWY

Question

I filed a claim over a year ago which the VA is still adjudicating for Menier's disease, although they all tell me they think it's Menier's disease they keep testing for other causes of my reported sympmtoms (i.e., migraines, etc). I received a call from the people handling my case stating that, after review, they feel my symptoms are indicative of a TBI and asked to file a claim for TBI on my behalf. I agreed. The problem is this; I'm a Viet Nam Viet and my head wound occured in 1968. I now have an upcoming C&P appointment for TBI and upcoming appointments with ENT for my pending Menier's claim (i.e., they have already awarded me 30% for labyrithisis but have agreed to revaluate after ENT gives a Dx for my condition).

My questions are: What should I expect at the TBI C&P, will it cause confusion with my current ongoing claim, and was it prudent at all to file a claim for TBI (...I was told at the time that my head injuries were temporary and was sent back to field duty after a couple months of hospital/bed rest).

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My questions are: What should I expect at the TBI C&P, will it cause confusion with my current ongoing claim, and was it prudent at all to file a claim for TBI (...I was told at the time that my head injuries were temporary and was sent back to field duty after a couple months of hospital/bed rest).

DEWY,

TBI in and of itself, was not even a VA disability issue until 2008.

Prior to that there was a 10 % max on simple brain trauma under diagnostic code (DC) 8045.

Any other residual disability from brain trauma such as seizures (for example) were to

be rated separately.

The C&P exam for TBI can be found at the following link:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm58.pdf

Rating criteria for DC 8045 Residuals of traumatic brain injury (TBI) post Oct 2008 can be found at the following link:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/38cfr4.124a.htm

Dewy;

In 1975 I was awarded service connection for post tramatic seizures

and over the last 10 years or so my medical records have stated seizures secondary to TBI so I applied for service connected TBI my C&P was in october and the results were tramatic brain injury is service connected I have yet to recieve an official award but there is no reason i should be denied I had service connected head injury in 1967 and 1972 back then TBI was not the thing

what they look for is mental as well as psysical cranial nerve dysfunctions,concentration,stamina,cognitive disorders as well as depression ext...The C&P examiner may give you a good report and defer you for a complete neuropsychological assessment which might last for 3 or 4 hours.... It has been 40 years and they are saying my 100% seizure disoder in secondary to my TBI so why should i not be SC for this and maybe even at an earlier date i have peripheral neuropathy,radiculopathy and myelopathy several other disorders they say are related to my head injuries

that is why i applied for it just in case one day i am paralyzed because of these conditions i can make a claim secondary to this............

thank you

What exactly are the seizures that you are speaking of, I occasionally have a tremedous pain on the left side of my head (brain) that feels like a spike was driven into it that seems to paralyze me for a second...is that something like a seizure or are the seizures that you're speaking of heart seizures?

I am a Vietnam Veteran 68-69. I suffered a large explosion near Chu Lai in 1968. After years of going to many doctors for fatigue, headaches, bladder problems etc. my doctor sent me for a brain MRI. They found a problem and said it was due to trauma. I have filed for TBI. I submitted my medical information to the VA with my claim and and now in progress. I am currently 10% tinnitus and 50% PTSD. I also have sleep apnea which can be caused by TBI. It has been a long time since Vietnam and I don't know how my claim wil be received by the VA. Anyone have any thoughts?

Take Care.

Is proof of the explosion found in your inservice records?

Did you get any inservice treatment at all for any explosion residuals?

Have you sought your Vietnam Unit's history in Vietnam for proof of explosion?

With the diagnosis from the MRI maybe there will be no problem with the claim.

You didnt have any post service accident that they could blame the TBI on-did you?

Is your PTSD stressor already tied into this explosion by VA? If so no further proof would be needed of it.

A large explosion that may have caused casualties is most likely noted in the Morning Reports by command.

They must rate the TBI as separate from the PTSD.

Have they sent you a VCAA letter yet?

That will state what evidence they still need. Be sure to respond to the VCAA letter within the deadline they give you.