VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Chatline - To Help Va Claimants

This is my first time on here or posting, so I am not even sure if I am in the correct thread.  I am attempting to file a new claim for autoimmune diseases related to being treated with Bactrim while on active duty many years ago.  I had a reaction called Steven Johnson Syndrome, very nasty.  Many, many autoimmune diseases have been linked to SJS, and needless to say, over the years I have developed many of them.  My problem is getting civilian medical records, over 20 years worth, and several providers, hospitals, imaging, etc.  I understand paying for the mailing of said records, but they want to charge me to copy...last I heard, at minimum 25 cents per page.  This adds up to quite a bit.  Am I required to pay this in order to get these copies sent to me personally?  I learned my lesson from filing for SSI, which I won, but realized while at the hearing that my attorney did NOT have complete records as requested, nor was he familiar with the records he did have.  For one, I do not trust the providers to always respond in a timely manner or to send complete records.  For two, I don't trust the VA to get the correct pertinent information from said records.  And three, I need my own set of copies for referencing in my claim.  I am currently living at or below poverty level, a shame for a veteran to begin with, and can barely afford to feed myself let alone pay for the costs of getting numerous sets of thick medical records from numerous providers.  Can anybody give me any suggestions or steer me in the right direction?  And if I am not in the right thread, kindly tell me where I should be, lol.  Thank you very much, AFMedic

You may find some help with state vet rights.  In Texas, they have a clause which states that all copies of medical records or service related documents are free.  This means that the hospitals, etc cannot charge you for records.  I don't know where you are or if this is normal in other states as well, but maybe it gives you another option to paying out of pocket.

First of all request your entire claims file including all of your VA and Service Treatment records from the date of your entry into the service and up to present date. You need to include a photocopy of your driver's license and the necessary VA form you need by going to the VA medical center for your area. You will see a patient portal and when you click on it, it. Will take you to how to request medical records. Fill it out and sign it and send with the. ID. It would be better if you could go in person but if not send it to the health information officer at the med center,make a copy of the request and letter and send it to the claims processing center too. These have to go certified return receipt. Keep a copy for yourself too for your file. This will request your health records they have at VA. This is all part of Hippa regulations and the Privacy act. If you don't get it in 30 days, send again a 2nd request certified. If you're still waiting then call the health information officer personally. Now for your personal records I would call Social Security and ask for a complete set of your file undr a GOIA and Privacy Act request. They should have all your prior records. Generally the costs are less than going to every doctor. If you need help the Vet centers.  Can help.

• 2 weeks later...

i was simply told by a VA Dr that she could tell i was hard of hearing, asked if i wanted free hearing aids, sure, and that was it, they scheduled me a appointment at the VA hospital, they did a hearing test and asked what type i wanted, there $6000.00 hearing aids, come with a life time warranty and life time batteries, for free.

Did the $6K Hearing Aids come with an attached 52 in Flat Screen Sony TV? Life time Warranty, yours or the Aids lifetime? Model number and MFG, would help.

VA Hearing Aids as of a year ago, are up for replacement every (2) years. Batteries, actually a big expense if the Aids are worn daily, are Free. Don't recall rechargeable Aids being available or offered by VA. VA options in 14, behind the ear or in-ear only models. Standard or custom molded insert. Don't recall any self-programmable, just (3) settings self adjustable while wearing.

Costco quoted $4K for my wife, told the Audiologist he could have her for FREE. He laughed, she didn't, go figure.

Things may have changed at the VA, usually they seem go middle of the road Quality, when it comes to high ticket equipment for Vets.

Semper Fi

there Phonak Audeo Q90,custom molded ear piece. also had my choice of com pilot or pocket remote control. been about year and a half since i got mine. yep, lifetime warranty. and batteries for life. Phonak cover them for the first two years then the VA covers them for the next two, then new ones. sent one in couple months ago, stopped working, few weeks later a new one arrived with the spec sheet and already adjusted. also the com pilot is blu-tooth, can link them with my phone or any thing else that is blu-tooth, but have to wear the com pilot to use this feature. had the most extensive hearing test ive ever had at the VA. hey if your rich then go buy them, im not, and knew id need them some day. music sounds the same  and now i can actually hear what there saying on tv. 52 in Flat Screen Sony TV, you get that with glasses, lol

Edited by hotrod351
added remark

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use