VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc-Rehab "education Plan?"

Rate this question

ping jockey

Question

Hello,

Been a while since I've posted, and I spent a few hours trying to find the answers to my quesitions tonight.

I do want to extend my thanks to T-bird, Berta, and all the Elders who support this site. Because of you I'm now rated 60% instead of 10%. :biggrin:

Currently, I'm trudging the road toward Voc Rehab approval, and here is the situ.

I finish my Accounting Degree in 8 months.

I applied for VR in Nov to get my masters degree.

Getting a CPA license now requires 150 college credits.

The masters program starts Spring 2012; Fall 2011 in not realistic.

Met with counselor.

Dr. Cleared me for training.

VRC told me to gather ALL the education info for getting a CPA license.

I submitted it, and he's asking for an "Education Plan".

I have to finish my Accounting Degree before getting into the Master Program.

Counselor, says my application can't stay in "one" status to long, and he is asking my permission to "disconnect my claim".

1. What is an "Education Plan"?

2. Should I disconnect my claim, and reapply in 2/3 months?

3. Should I keep it active, and move forward?

4. Is keeping an application in "one status" a real issue for the VRC, and/or me?

5. What's the big deal on time? It's takes a lot of time, and work to prep for Grad School anyway.

6. HOW do I keep this alive, and moving forward?

Again, thank you all for your dedication to helping Vets.

I had many dark nights at sea, and for 5 years after discharge.

Discovering Hadit was like seeing the crack of dawn, and experiencing the calm after a Typhoon in the South Pacific.

Veterans are eligible if they:

• Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services

Basic period of Eligibility

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E VetSuccess services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:

• Date of separation from active military service, or
    • Date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.

Vets, Families, and Friends,

Thanks for your inputs; it's been helpful.

Hopefully this paves a new path for Vets/Families in my wake.

For those discovering this later here's a summary of my experience:

SC at 0% in 1995 upon discharge, and increased to 10% 2002.

2009 applied for Voc-Rehab (Chap 31) at 10% SC........."Deee-NIED" immediately.

2009, found Hadit.com resource, and bumped into old retired Shipmate (Chief) who was now a DAV rep....God send.

He's explained how the process and rating system works in General.

My "POA" (Power of Attorney) was with the VA.....HELLLLOOOO....wrong place for that kind of authority.

Late 2009, transferred my POA to DAV Rep, submitted claims according to his instructions.

September 2010, 9 mos later SC increased to 60% for a condition characterized as "SECONDARY TO A PRIMARY CONDITION".

A SECONDARY TO condition is for "OTHER" bodily systems that are effected by a primary condition.....THIS IS IMPORTANT!!

Reapplied for Voc-Rehab in 2010; as I was about to finish my Accounting Degree. Need 150 College Units now to get a CPA license.

VRC (Voc-Rehab Counselor) had no problems approving me, BUT wanted to CLOSE IT because I wasn't about to START training in 90 days or so.

The University folks were not helpful at first; the Master's Degree Office said "we never heard of an Eduction Plan".

I ran around the University for a month (delay worked to my advantage) trying to find the department that will create an Eduction Plan.

Befriend an English Exchange Student in the Master Degree Office; AND low and behold they HAD examples; JUST like everyone said on HADIT.

I have an appointment May 12, to finalize my Education Plan.

Current Status and issue?????:

I've compiled an Education Plan, sent it to my VRC, and have an appointment May 12, 2011.

The School requires I take the GMAT, and a review course in both Statistics, and College Algebra.

Fulfilling these requirements definitely puts me past the 23 month, and 21 days of Chap 31 Benefits remaining.

There is an alternative (and better program) school that would waive these requirement based on my experience, and 3.76 GPA.

The benefits of this alternative plan are as follows:

I can complete school in 12-18 months instead of 24-30 months (I ONLY have 23 months of benefits left).

I can get back to work SOONER, and the commuting arrangement saves me cost.

Most importantly the commute arrangement accommodates less stress, by permitting me to study or cat nap on the hour long Ferry ride.

What's most important to me is getting started sooner, finishing sooner, and the commute, study, and stress arrangement.

QUESTION:

Should I bring this "ALTERNATIVE PLAN" to my VRC attention before my May 12 appointment?

Should I just compile all the information, and then meet with him to discuss it?

I don't want to derail what I have in the pipeline, and need to gracefully steer this in the other direction.

My thoughts are to notify him immediately so he doesn't do a bunch of work on a plan that is "SECONDARY".

As always, with gratitude to my fellow Vets, and the families who support our troops.

Edited by ping jockey

I would just gather all the information you need that is stated on Va Form 28-8606. My Counselor stated that she has to write out the plan. I took everything to her yesterday and it was approved. Today she emailed me all the contracts I had to signed and I scanned them and sent them back. Now I await for May 2. If the school gets the voucher in time I will start May 2, if not then I will have to wait until July 5. I have trust in my counselor because I found out if you work with them they will bust their butts for you, well mine has so far. Hope it works out for you...