VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amount Of Award For Ihd?

Rate this question

Nam Vet's babysis

Question

Hi

I'm new here on this website. My brother was a Marine in Dan Nang Vietnam in 1967 -1971. He died of Congested Heart Failure in November 2004.

My brother turned in a claim for AO in 1985 and was denied. Back in July 2010, VA sent me the letter about the Nehmer Case & asked me for information of next of kin names and addresses. I sent them the information on my brother's son and daughter. On the 26 Jan, I called the VA they said the claim is in the notification stage. I was the power of attorney and took care of my brothers paper work/affairs. He was divorced and his two children are according to the VA going to receive the retro benefit award, if approved. I'm happy for my nephew and niece because they really did not know their father and at least they will have some money to make life easier for them.

Just wondering about how much this award will be. Does anyone have an idea? :smile: Thanks in advance for replying!!!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"claim for AO in 1985 and was denied"

If that claim was for IHD or any AO disability-the EED (earliest effective date) will be the date he filed in 1985.

This is why this claim was triggered by VA for a Nehmer Review.

Obviously if he died due to IHD his % would be 100% P& T at death.

Bt the retro rating will depend on his medical evidence of the IHD over the years and that is determined by his clinical medical records.

I have similiar claim. Husband dead due to IHD.Manifested in years years of medical records indicating heart attack and

by ECHO, EKGs etc, to 60% SC and then the last 2 years he lived I am looking for 100% rating for the IHD.

The Schedule for rating IHD is here in our AO forum under IHD criteria and within the Nehmer training guide.

Do you have copy of his clinical medical records?

Do you have any of his past decisions?

In the 1985 denial there should be an NSC rating for the heart disease at that time and this is a rating that VA will use to determine how his IHD escalated.

"his two children are according to the VA going to receive the retro benefit award"

That is correct. If an Estate account was opened after he died the AO money might go into the estate or it could go directly to them.

I have given VA my lawyer's contact info and beneficiary info for my pending IHD claim.

think it is good idea for AO survivors to do that when they have a new AO claim pending.

Have you contacted NVLSP about his denied claim?

To clarify:

"In the 1985 denial there should be an NSC rating for the heart disease at that time and this is a rating that VA will use to determine how his IHD escalated."

A NSC non -service connected rating for IHD or CAD will be there. (Should be there in the rating sheet for the older denied claim)

That rating, if the AO claim succeeds, will be A starting point for the VA rating for retroactive purposes.

Congestive heart failure is not necessarily IHD.

"VA sent me the letter about the Nehmer Case" this tells me that VA determined his medical record and the Death Certificate would indicate IHD.

Did the death certificate say myocardial ischemia?

Did he also have any claim for any AO presumptive pending when he died?

If he did and that can be proven, the next of kin would be eligible for any accrued benefits as well -if the pendng claim succeeds .But I think VA would have stated that in their letter.

Edited by Berta

Thanks for replying Berta.

His death certificate states. Immediate Cause: Myocardial Infarction and Coronary Artery Disease.

Other Significant conditions contributing to death but not resulting in the underlying cause given in part 1: Diabetes Millitus Type 2, Congestive Heart Failure.

I don't know if he had a pending claim of AO when he died.

I guess we will be receiving the letter with the explaination of their decision.

Thanks again for your input.

Nam Vet's babysis

To clarify:

"In the 1985 denial there should be an NSC rating for the heart disease at that time and this is a rating that VA will use to determine how his IHD escalated."

A NSC non -service connected rating for IHD or CAD will be there. (Should be there in the rating sheet for the older denied claim)

That rating, if the AO claim succeeds, will be A starting point for the VA rating for retroactive purposes.

Congestive heart failure is not necessarily IHD.

"VA sent me the letter about the Nehmer Case" this tells me that VA determined his medical record and the Death Certificate would indicate IHD.

Did the death certificate say myocardial ischemia?

Did he also have any claim for any AO presumptive pending when he died?

If he did and that can be proven, the next of kin would be eligible for any accrued benefits as well -if the pendng claim succeeds .But I think VA would have stated that in their letter.