VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/bcnr Question

Rate this question

eganusn

Question

Hello all,

New member here. I have a question that hopefully some more experienced members here can answer or even possibly give guidance.

I am a service connected veteran rated at 30%. Served in the Navy from 92-96. One thing when I was seperated for was PTSD, noted as a condition existing prior to service.

When I had my medical board prior to that decision, I argued that the condition itself was one that aggravated by service because I didn't have any symptons until well in service.

The board basically denied my claim due to lack of anything referencing that when the doctor made the findings for seperation. I argued that the initial doctor (who at the time was TAD at Guantonomo Bay), noted and stated that my symptoms occured well after the beginning of service. I even told the doctor who authored the findings of such, but there was nothing in the findings to reference that, so I was told my statements had no credence basically.

Segue 14 years later, and I started looking into my medical records that I held onto, and I find the paperwork for my diagnosis, and the doctor who wrote the PTSD diagnosis, did state that I started having symptoms well into service. Of course the record submitted did not show or even reference that. Personally thats a "glaring" omission regarding my case.

My question is, do I even have, at this point, to submit a request for BCNR?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello all,

New member here. I have a question that hopefully some more experienced members here can answer or even possibly give guidance.

I am a service connected veteran rated at 30%. Served in the Navy from 92-96. One thing when I was seperated for was PTSD, noted as a condition existing prior to service.

When I had my medical board prior to that decision, I argued that the condition itself was one that aggravated by service because I didn't have any symptons until well in service.

The board basically denied my claim due to lack of anything referencing that when the doctor made the findings for seperation. I argued that the initial doctor (who at the time was TAD at Guantonomo Bay), noted and stated that my symptoms occured well after the beginning of service. I even told the doctor who authored the findings of such, but there was nothing in the findings to reference that, so I was told my statements had no credence basically.

Segue 14 years later, and I started looking into my medical records that I held onto, and I find the paperwork for my diagnosis, and the doctor who wrote the PTSD diagnosis, did state that I started having symptoms well into service. Of course the record submitted did not show or even reference that. Personally thats a "glaring" omission regarding my case.

My question is, do I even have, at this point, to submit a request for BCNR?

I would do this:

1 ask to re-open the claim based on new and material evidence you do have.

Ask for the effective date be the original claim date as service department records are being used as new and material evidence.

You could possibly have a CUE claim based onthe information you have provided.

Hang in there.

Jbasser

Edited by jbasser

Eganusn you should also have representation from one of the Service Organizations; American Legion, DAV etc. You must control your own destiny, all communication between you and the VARO should be USPS Certified return receipt. If you decide to have a Service Organization assist you keep copies of all correspondence, you must work your claim, only you will have the passion to see it through. There is a lot of assistance available with your hadit family. jbasser is right on the money, follow his lead, if you need help just ask. Welcome aboard.

jbasser,

Thanks for the info, I will look into that right away.

Eganusn

I appreciate the information from everyone here. Thank You!

I will approach, probably one on the local dav reps and see what route I should go with this.