VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU question

Rate this question

Mil T

Question

Hello,

I don't want to hijack this thread but my situation and timing is just about identical to this one. I am currently 80% total SC. 70%PTSD the other 10% is for hearing and tinitus. I applied for IU and was denied in July 2010. I applied for VR and was evaluated.

I received a letter from the counselor that stated;

"After carefully reviewing the evidence, I have determined that it is not reasonable to expect you to be able to train for or get a suitable job at this time. We can provide Vocational Rehab and Employement services only if we are able to determine you can both:

1. Succeed in a program of training or education and

2. Get a Job in an occupation that matches your skills, talents, and interests."

He writes under, What evidence did we use to make decision?

"In reaching my decision, I considered the following evidence: The combined effects of long-term unemployment, (I have not worked since 2005) living in a rural area with limited employment opportunities, and the interpersonal difficulty you experience as a result of your PTSD make any level of employment very unlikely at this time. Regretfully, even with the consideration of a self employment goal, it does not appear that you would have the mental stamina or the interpersonal flexibility required to formulate a business plan, deal effectively with customers, manage conflict and maintain accurate business records. These skills are required in abundance for business success either at the gainful employment level or for marginal, supplemental income."

The bold letters in the statements are also in the letter that he wrote. I submitted this as a review by a DRO rather than a full appeal on Aug 4, 2010. I got a letter yesterday telling me they are still working on my claim.

Anyway, I am just wondering after reading the thread here if any of you felt that the way the letter is written where it recognizes my SCD what my chances are of receiving the IU?

Thanks

Mil T.

We Were Young

We Were Soldiers

We Are Brothers Forever

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

He writes under, What evidence did we use to make decision?

"In reaching my decision, I considered the following evidence: The combined effects of long-term unemployment, (I have not worked since 2005) living in a rural area with limited employment opportunities, and the interpersonal difficulty you experience as a result of your PTSD make any level of employment very unlikely at this time. Regretfully, even with the consideration of a self employment goal, it does not appear that you would have the mental stamina or the interpersonal flexibility required to formulate a business plan, deal effectively with customers, manage conflict and maintain accurate business records. These skills are required in abundance for business success either at the gainful employment level or for marginal, supplemental income."

You are in good shape to be granted IU! That letter is what it took for me to be granted IU! Once I rec'd that letter I was granted IU the very next week!

Stay positive, Evidence is the key!

B6

EDIT: Are you currently on SSDI? Have you applied for SSDI?

Edited by Bravo6

I agree with Bravo6 and he is sure right as to the SSDI question too-

Make sure the VA has this documentation from VocRehab and then considers it properly.

If a vet is unvocrehabable (I made that word up I think) solely due to SC, then they are unemployable due to SC.

I worked for a public agency and we did not pay into SS. We had a separate retirement plan. I only have 25 quarters in for SS from part time work over the years. I wonder if I can file under my wife's SS. She does have enough. She is 59 and I'm 60.

Mil T

You are in good shape to be granted IU! That letter is what it took for me to be granted IU! Once I rec'd that letter I was granted IU the very next week!

Stay positive, Evidence is the key!

B6

EDIT: Are you currently on SSDI? Have you applied for SSDI?