VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Insurance With Va Benefits

Rate this question

lobo

Question

I am a 100% disabled veteran on Aid & Attenance, non service connected, recieve VA benefits. I was on Medicaid 6 or 7 years prior to going on VA benefits. I have a problem though, I live in Panama City Florida and their is no VA hospital near me in case I need to see a Doctor, I thought the VA would pay any Doctor you saw but that is not the case. There is a small VA outpatient clinic about 25 miles from where I am and my assigned VA Hospital is in Biloxi, Miss. I need some kind of insurance to see a Doctor locally in emergency, no dental, eye glasses or hospital stays. I had a Brain operation about 20 years ago that left me a few fries shy of a happy meal, no head problems since. I can't drive, see funny, double vision, hard to walk, talk. Would it be possible to get on medicaid or medicare just to pay for Doctor visits, I would be willing to pay if it was not to much. I would still keep my VA benefits for everything else, thank you. Where should I go for insurance to see local Doctor and emergency room?, thanks.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The only avenue you have would be to qualify for Social Security disability or regular SSA , Mesdicare part B and a supplament plan to cover the remainding 20 percent or part F.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

If I was you and I was going to be depending on the VA for most of my medical care I would move very close to a VA hospital. I tell you why because our governor is going to sock it to medicade patients. You would have to pay for medicare which is over 100 bucks a month now. You have to qualify for SSD first. If you have not worked in the last ten years you may not qualify for SSD. Were you on SSI before?

• HadIt.com Elder

Can a vet get SSD and a VA NSC pension at the same time? I know lobo wants to get medicare but can he do it if he has a NSC pension?