VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Exams

Rate this question

boricuarage

Question

hello I posted this in my intro, but added some more stuff here

Hi all

well I'm a former SSG USA army and been discharged since 2004 which was a couple of months after 15 month deployment to Iraq. I received a purple heart for comat wounds of mortar sharpnel..

I recently completed 2 of 3 exams for my disability.. Tinnitus and scar on my arm(motor sharpnel)..

my last exam will be my mental exam PTSD and really nervous about it.

I'm already diagnosed by my Psy Doc with Ptsd and somatization disorder..

now I was told by the VA contractor when I go to my mental to take my military medical records and my medications that Im pescribed..

I don't have my medical records from the military, but request them through St. Louis. I don't think much will show because I got out 2 months after deployement, but I do got all my evidence from my doc which diagnoised me..

and all different types of mess that I currently and use to take.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What I have seen is the PTSD exams now have a work sheet that has a check list of symptoms. It seems very mehcanical. I guess I would want to see that checklist ahead of time.

well I'm a former SSG USA army and been discharged since 2004 which was a couple of months after 15 month deployment to Iraq. I received a purple heart for comat wounds of mortar sharpnel..

I recently completed 2 of 3 exams for my disability.. Tinnitus and scar on my arm(motor sharpnel)..

my last exam will be my mental exam PTSD and really nervous about it.

I'm already diagnosed by my Psy Doc with Ptsd and somatization disorder..

now I was told by the VA contractor when I go to my mental to take my military medical records and my medications that Im pescribed..

I don't have my medical records from the military, but request them through St. Louis. I don't think much will show because I got out 2 months after deployement, but I do got all my evidence from my doc which diagnoised me..

and all different types of mess that I currently and use to take.

bori,

Is a purple heart listed on your DD214 ?

If yes, then you don't need to take your SMR's to a mental health exam with you

as the purple heart alone denotes you were actually in combat, thereby your

stressor would already be conceded by the VBA.

What they will be focusing on at the C&P is the symptoms you are now having in your daily life

and how your daily life is is effected by your PTSD - they are doing this to be able to assign a disability

percentage level for your PTSD.

JMHO

For reference :

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/Glossary/#p

Purple Heart

A “Purple Heart” is a medal given by the military to a service person injured as a direct result of combat.

bori,

Is a purple heart listed on your DD214 ?

If yes, then you don't need to take your SMR's to a mental health exam with you

as the purple heart alone denotes you were actually in combat, thereby your

stressor would already be conceded by the VBA.

What they will be focusing on at the C&P is the symptoms you are now having in your daily life

and how your daily life is is effected by your PTSD - they are doing this to be able to assign a disability

percentage level for your PTSD.

JMHO

For reference :

http://www.va.gov/he...ary/Glossary/#p

Purple Heart

A “Purple Heart” is a medal given by the military to a service person injured as a direct result of combat.

Is in my dd214 and 4187 when I received my PH. Which I'm glad I have because I keep forgeting the day I was hit.

I even have a letter from my psy doc who also specialize in PTSD diagnoising me DSM IV 309.81 and DSM IV 300.81. Clearly stating my experiences in IRAQ. I mailed the letter to VA last week because they keep asking for evidence. It's like never ending. How much more paperwork they want. I even filed a NOD in 08 w/out even giving me a chance because I did not have or I should say mailed all my stuff on time. It's still in the appeal board. I guess the exam will finialize everything.

my question is this... why would VA give me a hard time in the beginning when I have a purple heart and I'm service connected. They keep telling me my claim is still in appeal. it's been appeal since 09.. I keep sending evidence.. I would figure they would give me a rating before a C&P..

obviously my stressos was the mortar attack..why can't I just get my rating..

bori; your Purple Heart means the VA does not have to verify stressor events, that is conceded. However the C&P exam results will determine the rating you receive from the VARO. There is a lot of confusion and deadly serious things happening in a firefight, every one of them, whether it's 1 or 1000. Anyone who has been in the "kill zone" has a stressor event each and every time, those that don't are psycopathic. Have you posted your most recent C&P results? If not your should but delete any personal info like SS #, claim # etc., perhaps someone on the site could help shed more light on the issue.

my question is this... why would VA give me a hard time in the beginning when I have a purple heart and I'm service connected. They keep telling me my claim is still in appeal. it's been appeal since 09.. I keep sending evidence.. I would figure they would give me a rating before a C&P..

obviously my stressos was the mortar attack..why can't I just get my rating..