VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Docs & Disability Statements

Rate this question

autumn

Question

i had to get an IME which turned out to be just and in my favor.

but i would like to know this, and this question may be in the wrong topic area:

i have a SS claim in and no VA doctor will write a statement regarding my condition. they wouldn't write a note to a temp job last year when i attempted a few weeks of work.

i am getting a monthly check from SSD, but SSD wrote i wasn't to get retro due to my MS and spinal diseases didn't start until a year ago.

i got the IME and got service connected and recently had another C&P and that doc said i was 100% disabled and can no longer work. said he was going to write that in his report --- we'll see.

so, my question centers around my VA doctors won't write note so i can give it to SSD regarding i've had this issue and disabilities for some time, they just didnt' happen last year.

i guess i'm just dumb founded that the doctors won't do that or am i expecting too much. i meant they wouldn't even diagnose me, the C&P docs did so maybe that is why they won't write anything in support of me.

i feel pretty odd at the SS office telling them i have no doctor at the VA who will write anything regarding my condition and that i've had it and disabilities way before last year.

dumbfounded

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I had the same problems when I got into VA system but now my PCP routinely fills out paperwork that helps me.

I thin k most of the overloaded docs don't want to start doing that for all their patients they just don't have time

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Same problem here too, but my PCP doesn't help with any of my documentation unless it is for short/long term disability.

I feel your frustration, Autumn.

It's really a dart toss whether you get someone who'll write you a letter.

I was lucky to have a contract neurologist through a local hospital who wrote me a wonderful letter (even changed the wording of it once I learned how important key phrases are).

I gave my primary care NP an example letter to make it easy; she responded that she couldn't sign the letter because she hadn't written it.

Well, DUH- it was just an example of what I needed in my letter.

Anyway, some folks go to Voc Rehab or PT and are able to get a helpful statement from them in their records that doesn't require money out of pocket.

Keep asking and good luck! :smile:

• HadIt.com Elder

A few years ago I had a VA PCP that would write anything for me. That did not last as that doctor moved on and I got one who won't write anything. It is frustrating. I have to go and get an IME or IMO if I want to get anything.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA doctors have somewhat conflicting guidance. They are allowed to write opinions, etc. for NON VA purposes. They have the discretion to not do so.

On the other hand , SSA reviews medical records, including the VA's. Actually, SSA usually pays state agencies to do the review, etc.

The records supposedly are enough when they show treatment, severity, etc. If they are not, SSA can order an exam.

The real problem is that while you might get an unwilling VA doctor to write an opinion, you likely would not want to do so.

You may need to request another PCP. Talking to the patient affairs or advocate might help.

Actually, this is an old problem that has occurred more often than it should.

I did have a VA doctor write an opinion (Short) using an obsolete VA form some years back.

The doctor was a "contract" doctor at a VA contractor run clinic.

The VA RO ignored the opinion, although it had some validity at the appeals level.

I feel your frustration, Autumn.

It's really a dart toss whether you get someone who'll write you a letter.

I was lucky to have a contract neurologist through a local hospital who wrote me a wonderful letter (even changed the wording of it once I learned how important key phrases are).

I gave my primary care NP an example letter to make it easy; she responded that she couldn't sign the letter because she hadn't written it.

Well, DUH- it was just an example of what I needed in my letter.

Anyway, some folks go to Voc Rehab or PT and are able to get a helpful statement from them in their records that doesn't require money out of pocket.

Keep asking and good luck! :smile:

was feeling really weirded out by it, but not so much now as i see others running into the same. thanks

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use